Fixing to Panelling.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have just had some very nice slatted wall panelling done using natural white ash timber which are 44mm x 12mm depth and run floor to ceiling. The timbers were fixed to a dot and dab wall using sticks like sh*t and nail gunned with some finishing nails.

I now need to fix shelves to this panelling. Will fixing through the 12mm timber with a wood screw into the plasterboard behind where there is no plug be enough to hold the shelves in place? The shelves will have light to medium weight items like candles, plant pots, picture frames on it, there is 4 screws per shelf to go in which are light weight shelves and each shelf is 115cm in length.

If not and i need to fix through to something behind the timbers in the plasterboard how do i achieve this without having to drill a massive hole in the timber to get a suitable plug for the screw size through? Is there any risk of the decorative timbers pulling away if only fixing into them?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
Canada
I would use toggle bolts. Google them. They come in various sizes.

Ask a Question