Fixing a bad putty job around windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've just had my windows replaced for my front door, as seen below:

unnamed (4).jpg

Now my main issue is with the putty depth. From looking at the below photos, you can see it's clearly visible when looking from the outside.

Screenshot 2022-05-27 081935.png

Is there a way this can be made neater, or hidden even? Would a thick bead of black silicone, around the edges, from the outside, be an option? Or am I really better ripping it all out and starting again.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, I have a sash window company. The best way to remedy this is to rip it out and start again. If you’re inexperienced in putty application, go to screwfix or Dulux and buy a couple of tins of toupret exterior putty. This, (unlike linseed) does not fracture or doesn’t need working in your hands prior to use. It is white in colour and lays off perfectly. It can also be painted within 7 days. Make sure your glazing bars are absolutely straight by rubbing them down with 80g sandpaper. Your putty line is only as accurate as the straightness of your glazing bars. Good luck

Reaction score
Take Stanley's advice. Adding silicone will only make things worse: 2 wrong don't make a right.

Ask a Question