Fixing through plywood, into plasterboard?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I’m building a bootroom, something quite similar to this.

I have put up the shelf, and also the plywood which is flat on the wall beneath it, which the coat hooks will go onto. The wall is dot and dab, so my shelf and the plywood are securely fixed in using corefix dot and dab fixings.

I have very cleverly not thought about how I’m going to fix the coat hooks onto the surface of the ply until now. The ply is 12mm thick so essentially any fixing will be going through that and into plasterboard.

Any hole that I drill through the ply to get a plug into the plasterboard is going to be too wide as a pilot hole in the ply.

Am I just going to have to get as big a thread of wood screw as possible and hope that that will hold onto the 12mm of ply firmly enough?

Any advice appreciated - thanks

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I would use a 1" long (26mm) flat head, #8 wood screw (either Philips or Robertson). The excessive length of the screw will simply go directly into the plasterboard beneath the plywood. The plywood is fine for supporting coat hooks on it's own.

However, I may of suggested you use toggle bolts to mount the plywood to the plasterboard. Toggle bolts are about the best your going to get (for strength) when mounting things to plasterboard.

Too, you might have screwed the plywood to the plasterboard in the locations where the wall's studs (vertical framing members) are located....this way, your screwing into the "meat" of the wall.

Reaction score
Country
Denmark
Hi, I'm looking for advice
My partner and I want to divide our living room up a bit with a small room divider, in the form of a sort of shelving system. We plan to put a log inside that will go from floor to ceiling and be one supporting half, while the other part of the shelves will be mounted on the wall. Is there anyone here who can give me good advice on how to mount the log between the floor and the ceiling so that it is both stable and can bear the weight of some shelves?
(It's an apartment with a wooden floor and a plaster ceiling. But we can drill and whatever is needed. I have attached a picture to get the impression of the living room it will be installed in)

Attachments

Reaction score
Hi there,

I have put up the shelf, and also the plywood which is flat on the wall beneath it, which the coat hooks will go onto. The wall is dot and dab, so my shelf and the plywood are securely fixed in using corefix dot and dab fixings.

I have very cleverly not thought about how I’m going to fix the coat hooks onto the surface of the ply until now. The ply is 12mm thick so essentially any fixing will be going through that and into plasterboard.

Any hole that I drill through the ply to get a plug into the plasterboard is going to be too wide as a pilot hole in the ply.

Am I just going to have to get as big a thread of wood screw as possible and hope that that will hold onto the 12mm of ply firmly enough?

With dot and dab, there is unlikely to be stud-work to screw the ply to. Also, I may be mistaken, but the thickness of the dot and dab will probably not be sufficient to get a toggle bolt to open on the inside. Personally, I would recommend something like this (https://www.fischer.co.uk/en-gb/pro...frame-fixing-sxrl-with-countersunk-head-screw) to ensure you have the plywood securely attached to the solid wall.

Reaction score
Hi there,

There are plenty of fixings for that sort of job.

Look up Intersets by Rawlplug.

If your ply is well fixed, 12-mm ply should be quite strong enough to take a light load like coats.

It might have been better to have inserted a batten behind or in the original wall to give you a good fixing for you coat hooks.

Many a kitchen wall cupboard has come crashing down for the sake of a little preparation.

Reaction score
Hi, I'm looking for advice
My partner and I want to divide our living room up a bit with a small room divider, in the form of a sort of shelving system. We plan to put a log inside that will go from floor to ceiling and be one supporting half, while the other part of the shelves will be mounted on the wall. Is there anyone here who can give me good advice on how to mount the log between the floor and the ceiling so that it is both stable and can bear the weight of some shelves?
(It's an apartment with a wooden floor and a plaster ceiling. But we can drill and whatever is needed. I have attached a picture to get the impression of the living room it will be installed in)
It would have been helpful to show where you wanted to put the log - no shortage of those where you are!

The floor end is straightforward and is where most of the weight is.

Off the top of my head, you could use some form of threaded steel studding, bolt that to a bracket, put some holes in the base of the log and lower the log onto it. Even something like a short furniture leg with a bracket already fitted might do.

The ceiling is the tricky bit, but all it needs is something to keep it in place rather than load bearing.

Again, top of the head, fix a log shaped disk of timber to the ceiling, when the log is in place, fix through the log into the timber disk.

Do bear in mind that ceilings are fairly fragile.........

Ask a Question