Fixing Floor By Bolstering Joists but Layout is Odd

Reaction score
Country
United States
Is it ok to use the following setup [more context below]?

PostFixFloor.jpg

The center beam is wooden and includes blocking up to the floor that we suspect is supporting a wall on top of it. I can see that someone installed a hanger on the center beam and scabbed a joist to support the floor where the trap door was installed. I would need to remove the pressure blocking where the plumbing is and replace it with shorter blocking. There are awkward metal pipes that we cannot really move [cost and layout] in the plumbing area making it impossible to add more blocking.

The laminate flooring in the bathroom, kitchen, and entryway above the proposed scabbing is cracking as is the plywood subfloor in each area. The reason is 100% due to a lack of blocking. We will also be adding concrete board prior to tiling both areas. There are 0 other issues aside from some really bad blocking in the bedroom that is now shorter than the width between the joists [41 year old home] but that is currently not an issue. They simply removed some critical pressure blocking or just all around bad blocking.

Do I need to add the scabs if I replace the blocking in the entryway? [top left]

The current layout in our crawlspace is as follows:

PreFixFloor.jpg

Is it ok or a bad idea to simply follow the same procedure and put a hanger on the center beam and run a piece of LVL to the wall, using 3 inch bolts for support?

Ask a Question