Filling large gaps between wall and wardrobes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Ive installed a bunch of Ikea wardrobes but adding a few details to improve the look of them.
Ive reused skirting and been working on cornicing and have plans to scribe the larger edges where the wardrobes meet the wall.
I was going to do some super thin scribing for the thinner gaps where the wardrobe meet the chimney breast (about 10-20mm) but now thinking I might just used expanding foam and finish with some filler before painting. I figure if there is any minor movement at all this could work best.
Any suggestions here?

IMG_8917.jpg

Reaction score
We had this problem, twenty years ago mind.

We bought these self-assembly fitted wardrobes from Homebase.
They fill one wall of our bedroom, but there was a gap at each end.

P1040834.JPG

I've just taken these photos.

I bought a sheet of mdf and sawed two fillets to fill the gaps.

If you aren't confident of doing this yourself you could measure the gap and get a wood yard to cut it for you.
I did these at the same time I boxed in over the top of the wardrobes.
I then wallpapered the room, the boxing in and the two fillets.

P1010163.JPG

P1010161.JPG

P1010162.JPG

I used some of the original skirting for the bottom.

P1010164.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for the comment! Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.
Funny enough this is what I did for those bigger gaps, using 18mm ply I was able to scribe a pretty good fit.
I guess where Im at now (not having finished this job) is how to blend these pieces in. Ive got a decent, caulk that I reckon will do the job. Then sand and paint. 🤞

Ask a Question