Filling gap behind toilet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a gap behind a toilet I need to fill which is directly behind the bowl (the cistern is hidden). I’m looking at a silicon strip which will wrap around the back which I’ll seal in.

Any other ideas on how to fill would be appreciated - photo attached.

Attachments

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Reaction score
Is that a back-to-wall pan?
It's normal to have a bit of a gap and most plumbers wouldn't bother. Plus it's a pain if you need to pull it out in the future.
The pans aren't manufactured well enough for a totally flush fit, plus most walls aren't good enough.
I wouldn't bother.
I have used these silicone self-adhesive strips around shower trays, but they don't stay on for long.
If you are really keen to do it, I would use a sanitary silicone sealant and some accurate masking.
Are you using parcel tape for masking? If so, treat yourself to some proper stuff, low tack and steer clear of the cheap crepe stuff. t's OK for spraying the car, but not much else.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The silicone strips I used have been on 9+ years so far. It is important to make sure the cistern surface is spotlessly clean and grease free. Then warm the strip gently, leaving the tape sticky. That ensures a good 'grab' and the retention once it cools.

ColinA

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is that a back-to-wall pan?
It's normal to have a bit of a gap and most plumbers wouldn't bother. Plus it's a pain if you need to pull it out in the future.
The pans aren't manufactured well enough for a totally flush fit, plus most walls aren't good enough.
I wouldn't bother.
I have used these silicone self-adhesive strips around shower trays, but they don't stay on for long.
If you are really keen to do it, I would use a sanitary silicone sealant and some accurate masking.
Are you using parcel tape for masking? If so, treat yourself to some proper stuff, low tack and steer clear of the cheap crepe stuff. t's OK for spraying the car, but not much else.
Yes - it used to be flush against the wall but I replaced the wall recently (just an MDF backboard) and there’s now around a 1cm gap. It is more around just giving it a neat finish so have ordered a flexible silicon strip and I’m going to silicon it around the back of the loo so I can remove if needed in the future.
Yes I made that mistake in the past and the tape took all the paint off, so just use frog tape now.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The silicone strips I used have been on 9+ years so far. It is important to make sure the cistern surface is spotlessly clean and grease free. Then warm the strip gently, leaving the tape sticky. That ensures a good 'grab' and the retention once it cools.

ColinA
thanks Colin!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I did exactly that between the strip and wall. It does make it look a lot neater.

ColinA

Reaction score
ColinA
Yes, I did all that. The shower tray surface was perfectly smooth, the tiles were just plain white glaze, no texture.
Not only was the surface clean and dry, I gave it a good clean with propanol for good measure. I might even have used a hot air gun as well.
It still didn't stay on. It might have been some rubbish from Homebase or Screwfix.
I think yours was a bit wider than mine.
I do a lot of edging for stuff like shelving and have all the gear like rollers and so on.
I did try some 3M Command water resistant hooks for showers and baths, same clean-up, supposed to be the bees knees, but they fell off as well.
The only adhesive that really does stick in wet areas is Dow Corning - Geocel "The Works". Even seals leaking tanks from the outside.
Some of these adhesives need priming to activate the surface.
I've had better luck with some bog standard double-sided foam tape.
Tesa do one of the best ranges of adhesive tapes, and for masking really delicate surfaces like the Van Gogh, there's nothing to beat Tesa Precision tape (pink). Really fine edges and removable after years.
If you have a gap and don't want to use silicone and it's a straight run, some white PVC right angle strip plus Geocel works well.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My tape was 38mm wide with a 'fold dimple' down the middle, but I don't fold it. The sticky stuff is actually double sided tape and a right b*gger to get off your fingers if it sticks to them.

ColinA

Ask a Question