Gel for filling junction boxes outside

Reaction score
Can anyone suggest the best place to buy a gel or similar product to fill several outside junction boxes. I have seen a non hard setting product called Wiska Magic Gel available from TLC but it seems expensive when I have several boxes to do. Just thought I might be able to buy a 5 litre can or something like that from a 'chemical' company.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yep, it is pretty expensive stuff - I'd be interested to know if you can find it cheaper too.

I normally buy this 1L Raytech Gel from Toolstation:

It turns out it's actually more expensive than Wiska from TLC, so I'll have to get it from there unless there's something even cheaper.

Reaction score
Thank you. I wonder how far a packet would go in a 100 X 100 X 50mm junction box?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
https://www.biconcomponents.co.uk/SDS_R391-1.pdf - 1.7g/cm³. So 500cm³ would weigh 850g, i.e. 1.7 packets to fill the box. Except, of course, the boxes won't be empty, so maybe 1 pack per box?

Why do you feel that the boxes need filling? I've used it in conduit trouser boxes, which aren't especially watertight, but also don't need much of the stuff.

What's the IP rating of the boxes, and where are they going to be installed? Where will cable entries be positioned, and what glands will be used?

Reaction score
I would go for the Wiska product if you need to use it at all.
Pointless filling a junction box with cheap stuff if it lets you down later.
You could avoid all this by using a proper junction box.
Go for an IP rating of IP68 at least (immersable) and some IP68 cable glands.
Easy with round cable which it should be if outside, but for information, TLC do cable glands for oval T&E.
MK do a range of weatherproof boxes and for Hytuf or SWA, Pratley do some pukka boxes for burying or above ground.
All available at TLC.
FWIW, using IP68 boxes and Pratley boxes, on circuits with RCDs, outside, never had an earth leakage trip.
As an aside, UK Power Networks always use some resin stuff - looks like mortar - in their buried underground junction boxes, but I suspect that's more for protecting against someone with a JCB digging it up.

Reaction score
He who knows
Interested to know if you keep your trousers in conduit boxes?
My trousers aren't particularly watertight either.
Joking of course, but conduit trouser boxes is a new term to me.
Do you mean the round galvanised or plastic boxes that have one inlet on one side and two on the other?
You might stand a chance with a galvanised type with a rubber gasket, but these days, I wouldn't use them outside and at best they are splash proof only, and would certainly cause a few RCD trips

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Do you mean the round galvanised or plastic boxes that have one inlet on one side and two on the other?
Yup

1618913146617.png

You might stand a chance with a galvanised type with a rubber gasket
Which I did, and sealing washers with the SWA glands. Completely filled with compound. Wrapped with self-amalgamating tape.

They are outside - not buried but on the ground in a gully at the edge of a paved area and covered with pebbles.

No sign of electrical problems so far, which is, IIRC, about 13 years.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yes - they all do - on that one it's at the edge

1619645854049.png

Takes the same 6mm M4 screws that hold the lids on.

Also, as I implied, as well as being able to fit conduit to them, SWA glands will screw in.

1619646736203.jpeg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yep, the earthing point was out of shot.
That's the nice thing about M20, you can screw almost anything into it.
You would be surprised just how many things I've used M20 cable glands (IP68) and bit of plastic conduit.
Float switches in tanks, long reach sprayers and so on.

Ask a Question