Converting Telephone lines to Ethernet

Reaction score
Country
United States
I didn't know there was such a backlash against these devices, I'll do some reading up on this!

You can do it but it'll be work. But replacing "all your houses cable will be work".

Why not run a single CAT6 to where you need it. It won't be too expensive and save you allot of work. Also - from the PC on the cat6 you could have a radio hub for other devices nearby.

You have NEVER SAID WHAT KIND OF TELEPHONE CABLE. If it's old then it's RJ11 and has 6 wires. RJ45 has 8 wires. Not all of RJ45's wires are used by older network cards (or perhaps new ones) - so 6 wires is enough.

You need an RJ45 crimper to put an RJ45 end on the existing cable, or to wire each by solder.

Will it work? YES, possibly at reduced speed possibly at full speed. You said it's for Cable/Internet access: this is far slower than RJ45 so even if the network card negotiates at a slower speed that speed is still faster than the internet access.

Finally: with all the diagrams on the internet it seems strange you'd ask here on DiY forum. All the info is "already out there".

Don't use wikipedia. They IP BAN people and are famous for incorrect information and also - never saying in an article what the core questions (data) of the article are.

Reaction score
Country
United States
argile_tile,

Thanks for taking the time to post.
The current Telephone cable has 8 wires. I have telephone wires all over the house ( through the walls), however it looks like I have broken links. I have found out that I have an 8 wire connection between the garage( where the modem is located ) and the kitchen. The wire from the kitchen to the room directly above(MBR) is also 8 wire and reliable. I think these are "standard telephone wires" from 1997 when the house was built. I have checked the speed between garage to kitchen to MBR and it works well. However there are 4 other places(rooms BDR1(downstairs), BDR2 BDR3 and office area) ) that have telephone jacks but the wires do not have a continuous connections. One of the rooms is downstairs (BDR1) and the others are upstairs. All those rooms have telephone jacks and telephone wires that seem to go no where. I am assuming the connection from the kitchen to BDR1 is broken in the wall.

I need to connect from MBR to office area though some walls. I also need to connect from the kitchen to the Bedroom downstairs. I can run wires from the attic but its a lot of pain in my view. I tried pulling the wire in BDR1 but its fixed in the wall with some staples, otherwise I would pull new wire with it. I have crimped wires into RJ45, so I ma familiar with that.

Question is what can I do to avoid running wires from the attic, if at all possible ?

At this stage, what I see is the following scheme:
1. Connect the modem/router to the wire in the garage.
2. Connect from Kitchen to MBR.
3. Make a wireless access point in the MBR and connect the rooms upstairs wirelessly to that.
4. Use a power line adapter -- (yes, I know people hate it but it solves some wiring problems) to connect to BDR1 downstairs.

The distance between kitchen and BDR1 is quite large.

Even with this scheme, I have not avoided t eh wireless connection, so I am not sure if I gain much.
( I hate to be working in the hot insulated attic trying to run wires down to the rooms)

Any further thoughts are most welcome.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The problem is fixed for now. I bought an inexpensive cable tester and found the correct routing of the wires in the house. I was able to use Ethernet switches at each place the cables need to be continued to provide a method of connection as well as boosting the signal. The switches are also quite cheap ( $20) and powered.
I now have a wired house and was able to put the wireless extender in a place where it provides a better signal. I have a Gigabit Ethernet and get about 850 MPS at the parts in the room.
Since the cable are cat-5, any further improvement is unlikely. If the Internet speed becomes 5 Gig, then I will still need some sort of wireless solution at that stage.

Remember, all of this is to keep my kids gaming happily !

Reactions: Ian
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Finally: with all the diagrams on the internet it seems strange you'd ask here on DiY forum. All the info is "already out there".

Don't use wikipedia. They IP BAN people and are famous for incorrect information
Can you show what incorrect information Wikipedia has about phone and Ethernet wiring?

And if you know it's wrong, can you explain why you'd rather complain that it's wrong than put it right?

Why do Wikipedia ban people? Do you have any proof that it is done capriciously?

and also - never saying in an article what the core questions (data) of the article are.
What does that mean?

Ask a Question