Converting Outbuilding - Insulation / Protection from Moisture??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an outbuilding attached to my house which I am going to convert into a utility room.
Some background info - House is 1940s ex-council property double brick construction and the outbuilding (attached via a door from the kitchen) is single brick construction with 2 large single brick storage rooms inside. Roof is concrete and I have recently replaced the 2 outer doors to PVC doors.

I plan on knocking through the single brick storage rooms to open the outbuilding up to a large utility room, boarding and skimming the lot in order to make it a "proper" room which is warm and usable year-round.

My question is regarding insulation and protection from damp. As this is an outbuilding I appreciate it may be extremely difficult to fully protect against damp but my plan was either to:

1. Knock walls down, coat all walls and ceiling with damp-proof membrane, build timber frame and plasterboard (standard boards) walls and ceiling with a fibreglass insulation in the cavity between the walls/ceiling and boards. Then skim everything.

or

2. Knock walls down, coat all walls and ceiling with damp-proof membrane, dot and dab insulated boards directly onto the walls and ceiling then skim everything.

Could anyone with experience please weigh-in and give some advice? Anything would be great, thanks.

Ask a Question