Yard re-grading

Reaction score
Hello All. We have major drainage issues in our back yard caused by erosion and neglect by previous owners. We hired a civil engineer to help set new grade elevation marks with added fill to make the drainage work.

My question is what needs to be removed from the yard before new fill dirt is laid down. We were told to remove “all organic matter”. We have muck caused by standing water as well as patches of remaining grass. The elevation needs to be raised over a foot in some areas. Can we put down fill over the existing grass and soil or does it need to be “skinned” and grass removed? The property is in Daytona Beach FL.

Thanks for any advice/input

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I live in the UK where back yard means something different to an American backyard;

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/backyard

If your backyard is equivalent to what we call our back garden then there are a number of options to choose from.

How much money you can afford.

What you plan to do with the area.

If funds are available then remove the top layer this hopefully will also remove unsightly patches and weeds/roots etc giving a clean start; then import good quality top soil; pay attention to grade for water run off. This will give a blank canvass to work with and you can then add new grass; plants/bushes of your choosing in short a brand new garden. (backyard).

The cheaper option would be to simply import new topsoil and cover the lot; the old grass if covered will eventually rot down but where the new topsoil is thinnest established weeds/grass will most likely appear again.

If hard standing is needed for vehicles then the old surface definitely needs to be removed down to subsoil before being built back up otherwise settlement is sure to occur at a later date.

Good luck.

Here's an American backyard being graded?

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Hello All. We have major drainage issues in our back yard caused by erosion and neglect by previous owners. We hired a civil engineer to help set new grade elevation marks with added fill to make the drainage work.

My question is what needs to be removed from the yard before new fill dirt is laid down. We were told to remove “all organic matter”. We have muck caused by standing water as well as patches of remaining grass. The elevation needs to be raised over a foot in some areas. Can we put down fill over the existing grass and soil or does it need to be “skinned” and grass removed? The property is in Daytona Beach FL.

Thanks for any advice/input
I would take the opportunity to avoid mineral fill as much as possible given that they are shapeing for water flow and have to use something that will pack down. What I am getting at is the topsoil needed for a nice yard. Have some thought toward that endgame.

Ask a Question