Upgrading solar yard lights

Reaction score
My wife can’t walk past those cheap solar lights in a store without making a purchase. After a few months they quit working and I am expected to fix them. The usual culprit in malfunctions is water intrusion. This screws up the battery, circuit board or the on / off switch. When my wife brings a new set home now the first thing I do is take them apart and take out the 800 mHa battery and replace it with a 3000 mHa battery. This keeps the light working the entire night. Next I put a bead of silicone caulk on every seam. I also put a bead around the light to waterproof that as well. I have several lights that are over 3 years old and still work perfectly. The 3000 mHa batteries can be bought on line very reasonably.

Reactions: Ian

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hahah, funny you mention that as had a few in my garden and only 1 still works!

I never thought to make them more waterproof, but for the sake of a quick job it would be well worth it. I've got some "magic gel" (designed to protect outdoor electrical connections) that I can pour inside, so I might give that a go as it'll seal it all up a bit like potting compound.

Good tip!

Reaction score
I've lost count of how many solar lights - even of the 'more expensive' variety - have failed over the years because of water ingress. Given that such things are clearly sold for use outdoors, how is that they appear not be subject to the Sale of Goods or Trades Description acts, as obviously they are not for for purpose'.

Ask a Question