upgrading radiators

Reaction score
Hi I have a number of radiators on a gas central heating system that I would like to upgrade. Now trying to get a plumber interested and willing to do the work is proving difficulty to say the least ( I guess its between 500-600 worth of work you would think they would be interested).

Given the lack of interest thinking of doing it myself. I realise I need to drain the system etc and maybe run some new copper pipe. Anything I really need to look out for or am I really taking on something best left to an expert?

Reaction score
Before you drain the system make sure you id the flow and return, flow side of the rad gets hot first (strictly speaking your TRV head should be on this side). Then drain the system. Then you will need to cut in to your flow and return for your new rads. Generally you have 22mm pipe as the flow and return stepping down to 15mm as it goes out to each rad. So you will need 22-15-22 tees to come away from the flow and return. Clean the pipe and fitting before you solder with wire wool put some flux on the pipe and fitting assemble the joint and play the blow torch on it, ( I am assuming you're using Yorkshire fittings with the inbuilt soldier ring, best way to ensure this is right first time). Rad valves are simple compression joint (olive and compression nut) so the process is quite straight forward. Ensure you flush the system prior to refilling to remove any debris, refill. Hope this is helpfully.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Personally I would call a professional, although it depends how competent you are at plumbing of course. I am surprised no one is interested.

Ask a Question