Replacing / Upgrading Windows on House With Brick Façade

Reaction score
Country
United States
HI DIYers... just like the subject suggests. I bought an older home from 1983. The home is in really good shape, and I've basically renovated the entire house. One of the few things left is to do the windows. They're in good shape, but I really want to improve the energy efficiency of the home, as well as the ability for the home to sustain an ambient temperature.

There are three LARGE windows that I have which I'd like to replace, that are cased in brick. The entire front of the house is a brick façade. All the aluminum windows are aluminum framed (which I prefer.

Problem for me is figuring out how to properly seal the new windows to the house while ensuring that flashing and everything behind the brick is still good. I've watched a few videos and understand there's a way without having to destroy the brick, but I'd like to know what my options possibly are...

1 - Are there any replacement window sashes that can use my existing aluminum window frames, where I simply just replace the window insert itself with a double-pane?
2 - Are there window kits made specifically for this where the new windows are also aluminum, where I can simply install them in the same opening (after removing the old frame), and it can re-use all the existing flashing?

For all the other windows in the house, I plan to replace them with normal replacement windows (since there's no brick and I can remove the siding).

Thank you!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Our bungalow was built in 1963 it being random stone. About four years ago the original double glazed sealed units started to mist; all our neighbours now have plastic window frames and doors; some of these plastic window frames failed in less than five years.

Our window frames are the original softwood frames and are still in perfect condition because for the last 32 years I've been looking after them; our front wooden door is the original but again I've looked after it having removed it and given all edges plenty of sealing paint especially the bottom edge. The original rear door was broken on the day we moved in the previous owners ignoring it starting to stick until it was forced open; this was the first job I did when we moved in; I made a replacement wooden door and due to looking after it the door is still in perfect condition.

When the sealed units started to mist I researched my options; no way was I prepared to replace the still perfect wooden frames so I simply replaced the sealed units; the original sealed units I carefully removed and disposed of them then cleaned out the rebates then as the day was warm I applied an undercoat and top coat of paint into the rebates to seal them. A builder working next door kindly assisted in lifting the new sealed units into place; I had made new beading.

Doing the research really paid off; I looked at different types of glass and chose "Pilkington K" glass; this glass is truly remarkable; it keeps heat in but also keeps heat out; our front room used to be scorching in mid summer with the plain glass but what a huge difference this new glass has made to our comfort.

https://www.pilkington.com/en-gb/uk...n/pilkington-k-glass-range/pilkington-k-glass

Our front room has a 12' wide x 4' tall window this in two large and two small sections; our front bedroom window is 8' x 4' tall one large section with a side hung opener; the new high spec units only cost us around £350 saving us a great deal of money and all the original softwood frames are retained.

Bron and I won't have metal or plastic frames much preferring wood. Last year I made and installed a front porch the frames and door made of wood; doing the work myself we saved a lot of money and made the porch to our own design.

I never ever skimp on materials especially paint. For years I wanted Benjamin Moore paint but it wasn't available here in the UK but it is now available through;

https://www.benjaminmoorepaint.co.uk/about-us/shaw-paints/

This paint is expensive but is it; why bother spending forever on preparation to slap on the cheapest paint which fails in less than a year; it's the cheap paint which is most expensive; I gave the bungalow exterior a huge makeover in 2016 and it still looks as if it's just been done.

Just passing a bit of time because it's white over with frost this morning; it's more comfortable sitting here at the keyboard.

I would suggest anyone do lots of research before jumping in.

Kind regards, Colin.

Exterior_0001.JPG

Just the new metal railings I made still to paint and decking boards to install.

Exterior_0002..JPG

The bungalow is 39' wide and has lots of woodwork. I even removed all the gutters etc allowing the fascias to be fully painted and also the gutters were cleaned and painted. five and a half gallons of Benjamin Moore exterior paint was used.

Exterior_0003.JPG

The new porch and front door I made and installed last year.

Exterior_0004.JPG

Pretty as a picture the window frames are the originals dating back to 1963; will plastic frames last as long?

Ask a Question