Complications Replacing Bathroom Fan & Duct

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all, I’m replacing this old bathroom vent (currently vents into attic) with a new larger Panasonic fan with a sufficient CFM rating for the master bathroom & will add a 6” insulated duct to vent it out of the roof.

The current fan is 11” both sides whereas the new fan will need 11” on one side but at least 20” on the other side (to accommodate the 6” duct being fixed to the fan’s air outlet.

I think the only way the new fan can fit is to have it rotated 90 degrees vs. the existing fan (i.e. so it vents to the right (which is towards the roof vent)). This would require removing the small piece of wood (circled) to create sufficient space.

This is all new to me as a first-time homeowner so I’d love to get your thoughts on whether this is a wise approach, and if so, how would you suggest removing the wood / going about it. I’d greatly appreciate any advice on this and also any other suggestions for how to make it work!

990DE0A1-8635-405B-BA3D-D3203E5AA9BE.jpeg

Reaction score
Country
Canada
The piece that you have pictured with a yellow circle is fine to remove. Don't cut the wood that is perpendicular to the yellow piece, on neither side. Be mindful, that the drywall beneath this fan (as shown) may be screwed to the piece (yellow circle) your going to remove. Some drywall repair in this general area is likely.

BTW - Your 6" exhaust duct need not be insulated if your live in an area where your not experiencing sub-zero external ambient temperatures.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you very much for the helpful reply. Yes I’ll leave the perpendicular pieces in place. Do you have any thoughts on how best to go about removing the pieces of wood? I don’t see any obvious screws or nails so many only thought so far is to use a SAWZALL & gradually cut it out.

For the duct, we don’t get many freezing nights but I got insulted duct anyway as a figured it wouldn’t hurt.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Chupatty:

You wrote: "... Do you have any thoughts on how best to go about removing the pieces of wood?...".
A sawzall is fine. Take the old fan out, cut the "yellow" piece once in the middle, and whack each of the two pieces off with a hammer.

You wrote: "....
I got insulted duct anyway....".
That's fine.

1668289224291.png

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you, that’s an excellent suggestion! I’ll be giving it a try tomorrow

Ask a Question