Backyard Project

Reaction score
Hello all! I have a few questions about electrical...

First of all I have expanded my old deck to include a little more square feet to the lower deck and a new pergola where my hot tub is now sitting.

When I moved my 220 volt hot tub, I moved it approximately 25 feet away from the box it was hooked too. It is still in site of the hot tub. The box is hooked directly to the main panel outside not the one in the house.
Question 1: Do I need to move the GFCI Breaker closer to the tub?
Question 2: What type of wire do I need to use?
Question 3: Do I need to dig a trench and run it through conduit?

I also am seeking advice for other electrical questions in the backyard. I plan on running some lights to the pergola area where my hot tub is now. I have purchased an outside switch so I can turn it on when I get to the pergola, just so I can see a little bit when I'm out there. My father in law told me just to tie it into the power for the hot tub and over to the switch but I'm concerned that this may cause an issue because I think my tub needs all 220 volts and the extra load will trip the GFCI.
Question 4: Is this true or can I tie into the power going into the hot tub?

My father in law also stated that for the other lights that I was wanting to run to illuminate the lower deck as well as other areas in my backyard could all be hooked into the switch that controls the fan and light in my covered porch area.
Question 5: Is this true or will the extra lights be too much of a load for this fuse? (around 12 new lights)

I also am planning of putting in a little water feature.
Question 6: Will this require a separate fuse or can I tie it into the same fuse with the lights?

In the next few years I was also planning on putting in a little shed towards the back of the yard with a few lights as well. I have no clue how far this run will be because I have not measured it but it will be at least 60 feet.
Question 7: Does this load need to be on a separate fuse as well?

I guess my main question is this: Should I just run a whole new outdoor fuse panel to handle all of this or can I work with what I got? If I need to run a new one how big should it be?

Thank you for any questions you maybe able to answer! Have a great day!

Ask a Question