Looking to run electricity to my shed in my back yard

Reaction score
Country
United States
I want to dig a trench and drip conduit if needed and run a heavy enough gauge to run a 1200 BTU A/C and 2 computers (with monitors) and a couple overhead lights (LED).
don't know what wire to use, size for a 40 foot run nor willing to connect it to the main on the side of the house. I have run yellow romex in the attic and installed new light switches and wall out outlets several times. I have added a new circuit breaker to the garage panel and run wall drops many, many times but I am no electrician and I don't play one on TV. I need advice.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I advise getting an electrician. IHNI what the regulations in the USA say about how this should be done, or who should do it, but the laws of physics are the same, and so therefore is the potential for dangerous screw-ups.

I doubt US electricians love digging trenches any more than UK ones do, so you ought to have no problems in finding one who will tell you how to dig the trench (depth, bedding material, warning tape etc) and how and what sort of conduit(s)) so you can do the labouring to save money and leave the electrical work to him. He can advise on cable type and size and so on.

I would always advise conduit, even if direct burial is allowed, in case you ever want to change things or add another cable. In the UK I'd advise 2 of them as over here you can't have electrical and phone/data/alarm cables in the same one, and wifi & cellphones are all very well but often wired is better.

If you do go for direct burial, if allowed, then unless you love digging trenches, put in a bigger cable than you need in case you ever want a hot-tub or pottery kiln or particle accelerator out there.

Reaction score
Current, voltage, single or three phase would be more useful information than BTU.
Steel wire armoured cable of the correct size is quite alright for direct burial, after all, the supply companies like UK Power Networks use a lot of it, at bigger voltages and currents.
Gravel backfill cover and warning tape.
If you want to be super-duper safe, use the specially made concrete covers, but the supply companies don't.
If any joints, get the right enclosures like Pratley in the UK.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to dig a trench and drip conduit if needed and run a heavy enough gauge to run a 1200 BTU A/C and 2 computers (with monitors) and a couple overhead lights (LED).
don't know what wire to use, size for a 40 foot run nor willing to connect it to the main on the side of the house. I have run yellow romex in the attic and installed new light switches and wall out outlets several times. I have added a new circuit breaker to the garage panel and run wall drops many, many times but I am no electrician and I don't play one on TV. I need advice.
Do you 1200 BTUs/ hour, that is only 350 watts, you will get more heat from the two desktop PCs.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
With a COP of 3, that's a kW. Imagine a shed with a 1kW fan heater running. Could well be enough.

Reaction score
Country
United States
In the USA extension cords are legal. They power MOBILE HOMES.

So, when there's a will there's a way, in the USA.

Reaction score
Country
United States
There are plenty of DiY forums describing running power to a shed. You should check past articles and ask questions if those past articles aren't making sense to you.

It is true that doing it DiY requires more care. Such as testing the circuit fuctions how it should (which, btw, pros are supposed to do).

Reaction score
Country
United States
So. You haven't listed your amps total for us. 1 AC (12,00btu is 120V i assume). 2 PC (what kind? apple low energy laptops?)

You have 40' listed (to where? the shed? does that include running to the panel?)

Now, you could be on a BRANCH CIRCUIT, where you only rob power from existing (using huge wire for no resistance loss - expensive) or save money by adding a branch circuit from the panel (if a slot is empty) and running (60' total?) with the right gauge.

There are many things to be aware of, such as if the shed is "study enough to protect the wires" (if they are not then you need to install a disconnect box that is "safe and sturdy stands on it's own" and use an extension cord from the box (say, remove it whenever your not in the shed)

You have to call 1-800-miss-utility before digging. You have to know how deep the wires must be. (say, a cable tv cable might be 12")

And you either need PVC or metal conduit or the (flat) underground-rated wire. And romex - dunno what romex you have there. You could run the power above ground but (ie, over-head) but it would still need to be rated for however it was hung. flat wire burried wouldn't be unusual - it's been done before.

You should consider whether you'll just have a single outlet on a long extension (which is legal) and plug the 3 utilities into it or if your "gonna install a sub-panel".

If it's a metal shed it should really be grounded by the ground wire.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I am an electrician, and have owned an electrical company for 24yrs.

Dig a trench 18" deep, install 3/4" PVC conduit (x40'), install qty of 3 #10 AWG copper conductors, and one #12 AWG ground. This will provide 30amps 120/240vac power for your 12,000 BTU condenser (approx 15amps) and 2 computers with screens.

If you want any extra room for future, use 1" PVC conduit, qty 3 of #8AWG C/U and #10 gnd.

Subpanel required in both instances shown above.

Ask a Question