Looking for Help with Design & Wood Choice

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey Guys/Gals,

I've got a couple different projects in mind, and I'm looking for help with designing them. I've done more metal shop, than wood shop but I'm no stranger to building things. However, welding is nothing like wood work. Here are my projects;

I'm a major computer geek, and I've got a LOT of computers. I'm looking to build a custom desk for my main rig. I have 2x 27" Monitors, and 2x 34" Monitors on 2x Dual VESA Monitor mounts. My current desk isn't rated for that kind of weight. It's a crappy pre-made desk that I assembled. It has a metal frame but isn't accessible to the mounts. I love the look of wood, I've always been a fan of dark wood.

What I'm looking for; Designs (AutoCAD Help), Tools for Assembly, and what I should expect cost wise / assembly wise.

This next request is simple one. I'd like to use the same type of wood as above, but to build a heavy duty bookshelf. Like I said, I'm a computer geek. I've got TONS of books, cds/dvds, etc.. The book sizes vary, as does the weight of each book. I can design this myself, however I was hoping to have a modular shelf capability.

Finally, the last project is a crazy one. I'm a scotch fanatic. I've got upwards of $10,000 in various Scotches & Alcohol. If you're thinking I sit next to a fire place, smoke a pipe, and read a book, you're 66% right. I just don't smoke, haha. I want to build a decently sized cabinet, that sturdy/heavy duty. Now for the tricky part, I want to build a custom freezer into it for ice. I'll post more about this in the proper appliance section.

When I get home / have free time this coming weekend, I'll do some quick sketches with some estimations behind it to help with the designing.

Reaction score
Hi and welcome.

For an easy to construct bookshelf or shelves, you can't beat bull-nosed hardwood window sills.

Those in this country are about an inch thick and 9" deep.

We had two long parallel shelves a foot apart I made for a wall in our lounge, to house books and VHS videos etc; , some forty years ago. I can't remember how much the wood cost, but it obviously didn't bother me at the time. About eight years ago my wife decided that as they weren't used much, so they could be removed and the sofa pushed against that wall.

So I took them down and made this bookcase to put in the hall, just 2 small "L" shaped brackets at each end of each shelf and a piece of plywood for the back. It's as solid as a rock and the shelves don't bend. It didn't take very long to make, just a few hours, much of the time spent making the rounded ends of the top shelf.

However the price of this wood is now ridiculous. To build it again would cost me nearly £300. But though I say it myself it looks quite professionally made. But I was using just basic hand tools.

P1000960.JPG

Ask a Question