Looking for ideas for a rustic remodeling project?

• Thread starter DIYTheArtofWood
  • Start date
D

DIYTheArtofWood

Hello everyone. I put together this slideshow of a living room remodel I completed in my house. If you’re looking for ideas for a rustic looking remodel in your house that’s a bit unique, maybe you’ll pick up a few ideas from my project. I didn’t do an in depth “how to” narrative on this, left it more as an inspirational idea video, but if you have any questions on the materials or methods I used, send me a message. I’m in the middle of another remodel project right now, and I’ll be posting more in depth “how to videos” of that project. Enjoy.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks for sharing. The room you created looks a lot more homely than the blank canvass you started off with. A nice transformation and I bet it didn't cost a great deal monetary wise. Well done. :)

I much prefer the look of your newly created room to what is now fashionable being dazzling white everywhere with masses of glass which must be like living in a goldfish bowl; I like lots of wood because it gives warmth and friendliness unlike the all white which is more like an hospital.

Woodworking is so rewarding; here's our kitchen mostly made of offcuts of Meranti and plywood stained jacobean dark oak; we like wooden beams so I added some.

Kind regards, Colin.

Kitchen_002.JPG

The upper gallery with turned spindles stops short due to me making and installing the new meranti doors; previously we had plain white sliding doors to the ceiling.

Kitchen_003.JPG

Fully fitted hardwood kitchen costing little in money being made mostly of offcuts which I machined the work spanning 25 years; a bit of patience and a lovely understanding wife helped a great deal.

Kitchen_004..JPG

The picture doesn't do the paneling justice; it is actually richer and darker; still work in progress.

D

DIYTheArtofWood

Hi,

Thanks for sharing. The room you created looks a lot more homely than the blank canvass you started off with. A nice transformation and I bet it didn't cost a great deal monetary wise. Well done. :)

I much prefer the look of your newly created room to what is now fashionable being dazzling white everywhere with masses of glass which must be like living in a goldfish bowl; I like lots of wood because it gives warmth and friendliness unlike the all white which is more like an hospital.

Woodworking is so rewarding; here's our kitchen mostly made of offcuts of Meranti and plywood stained jacobean dark oak; we like wooden beams so I added some.

Kind regards, Colin.

View attachment 1481
The upper gallery with turned spindles stops short due to me making and installing the new meranti doors; previously we had plain white sliding doors to the ceiling.

View attachment 1482
Fully fitted hardwood kitchen costing little in money being made mostly of offcuts which I machined the work spanning 25 years; a bit of patience and a lovely understanding wife helped a great deal.

View attachment 1483

The picture doesn't do the paneling justice; it is actually richer and darker; still work in progress.
That’s some impressive woodworking. I’m not a fan of the modern bright white look either. That space I created is very calm and relaxing. I’m in the middle of remodeling the family room right now. Similar kind of vide but unique to itself. I have a playlist started chronicaling the transformation on my YouTube channel
If you want to follow along here’s the playlist. When it’s all done I’ll post a thread with the finished project video.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDBID_-aJinGhn5vGjIi-YUiDDxglxleC

Reaction score
Rustic is not reallt my cup of tea but I love what you did, it's more of a modern rustic. Good job.

D

DIYTheArtofWood

Rustic is not reallt my cup of tea but I love what you did, it's more of a modern rustic. Good job.
Thank you. I really do like blending wood and steel. If you like that general concept, but don't dig the rustic vibe, you can definitely do a similar set up with a more modern look.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi,

Kind regards, Colin.

View attachment 1481

View attachment 1482

View attachment 1483

Actually, I am newbie in this from and I am so glad. Your woodworking is really fantastic. I love this work. I want ot decor in my bathroom. Please, let me know, is it too much costly?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Very good question charlesey regarding cost; There are so many variables when it comes to cost. A great deal of excellent work can be done with just a few good quality tools; I started out over 40 years ago with a single speed Black & Decker 3/8" drill; hammer; tenon saw and a wood chisel; with these plus other hand tools like screwdrivers I installed my very first fitted kitchen from scratch. I bought 2" x 1" planed softwood and made the framework then I bought sheets of white Contiplas these at 8' long. I'll never forget the blisters on my hand as I cut the Contiplas using the very cheap tenon saw; I think I paid 80p for the saw and after each cut had to sharpen it.

It took ages to install the kitchen due to lack of money but I did succeed in the end and my lovely wife Bron thought the new kitchen was wonderful. For the work surfaces I used cheap chipboard with Formica glued on; I used two layers of chipboard with spacers allowing shallow drawers to be inserted; to cover the chip board rough edges I used rounded beading; our neighbours were amazed but to answer your question it doesn't have to cost a lot if you can get hold of offcuts of timber.

Below is a picture of our bathroom; I made and installed all the woodwork many years ago costing very little indeed; the timber I scrounged from where I worked; with bought timber where I couldn't scrounge; the ceiling beams were lengths of dirty timber that electric motors had been stacked on; I sanded them down and stained them Jacobean Dark Oak; the finish is polyurethane varnish. The panels are just WBP plywood again stained and varnished; I even designed and made the window frame.

I prefer our bathroom to modern all tiled bathrooms; I think it's much more friendly and welcoming; the whole bathroom cost very little in money but involved a lot of work which I actually enjoyed and still enjoy. Our neighbours spend a fortune getting tradespeople in to do every job and they never learn anything; Bron and I do all our own jobs saving a fortune.

May I suggest you browse the web for ideas; start off small then your skills will quickly develop; I hated woodwork at School but over the years and firstly out of necessity I I did my first home woodworking when I married Bron and now I love all aspects of woodworking.

Please yourself charlesey and don't let anyone put you off trying something new with their negative comments; do the very best in whatever you try and never quit however hard it becomes; you'll learn more from mistakes you make than what you already know.

Kind regards, Colin.

Bathroom_001.JPG

Our bathroom I made and installed many years ago costing very little indeed.

DIY_001.JPG

The hardest part is making a start; go ahead and make lots of silly mistakes; I did but little by little I became better. A bit of encouragement in the picture above and the picture below; the drawers are solid oak made from timber I had kicking around; I made these drawers a few years ago for Bron to store her card making materials. These are more advanced projects but if I can do them you will too if you really want to.

DIY_002.JPG

I can make anything these days after all I've had over 50 years in which to practice; this is our front room which I gave a comprehensive makeover to about four years ago; it still look gorgeous. If anyone tells you that you can't do it what they really mean is they can't do it and don't want you to succeeded; prove them wrong and enjoy doing so. Good luck.

Ask a Question