Wires under bathtub

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Hello,I’m starting a renovation project on ensuite bathroom ,In order to lay tiles on floor I have removed bathtub panel and I can see wire going under in the wall,any ideas how to figure out what is it for?
Detector is indicating is live

Attachments

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Of course I won't know what this cable is feeding, but it is clear that it was installed as a previous renovation project by another owner of the house.

While this is not standard for new home construction, it is typical for renovations. It appears the contractor that installed was prudent and good-workmanship like.....it was done well. It does not pose any safety risk.

However, be mindful of the cable when completing the renovation. No air-nailing and screwing in the area of the cable throughout it's visible length.

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Any advice on how to follow up and find out where cable is going to?
House is build in 2005 and there has been no renovation since,it was installed this way from start

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Well, for a home owner, I'd suggest this:

1) Turn off breaker-by-breaker (one at a time) until your detector shows the bathroom cable is no longer live.

2) Leave the identified breaker OFF, but ensure ALL other breakers are back ON.

3) Walk ALL over the house and look for lights and/or sockets that are not working/ON.

4) Turn the identified breaker back ON. Go back and see if previously dead sockets/lights are restored.

As contractors, we would do this differently.....but it will work for you.

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Great advice,thank you.
Would you recommend to isolate cable with something after inspection or to relocate?

Reaction score
Country
Canada
1) Isolate cable? What do you mean by that?

2) What trade/type of inspection are you planning on? Gas? Plumbing? Building?

Reaction score
Yes, doesn't look very clever.

Don't put too much faith in voltage detectors or even multimeters. Ghost and induced voltages can easily be picked up.

As yours is non-UK practice, it's hard to say, but threat it as live until you know better.

Most UK mains wiring is "Twin and Earth" or T&E.

It has a distint oval profile. Just looking at the images doesn't tell you much, but is there a groove running down the centre of the outer sheath or is it a trick of the light?

There is a cable called figure of eight and is mainly used for low voltage circuits like doorbells. I have seen much thicker versions used in audio systems, especially in high power speaker connections.

To be honest, it's hard to say.

Another case of undocumented cable or lack of cable identification.

Ask a Question