Identify Switched Live Wires

Reaction score
I was trying to replace the light fixture in the living room to a "philips MyLiving spot star warmglow" fixture instead. It's basically a fixture with 3 LED spot lights.

Unfortunately, whoever installed the wiring didn't mark the "switch live" wires and I didn't take note of it before disconnecting the old ceiling rose.

Now i have bare wires handing from the ceiling, (power is turned off at the fuze box).

How to go about testing which wires goes to the switch safely? alternatively how much would it cost for an electrician to tell which cable goes to the switch?

Attachments

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

The easiest way of sorting out the wires is with a DMM (digital multimeter) but I wouldn't recommend a novice play around testing live wires at mains potential because it's highly dangerous and could prove lethal. If you are in any doubt at all call in an electrician it will be money well spent.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RJ11-Wir...758227?hash=item48c91ce093:g:c2IAAOSwKzBc3OGA

A cable tracer is a good investment and checking with this is safe because it's done with power SWITCHED OFF.

Kind regards, Colin.

Ask a Question