What is the name of this bearing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi DIY community,

Now I have a new project: build a bookpress. I'll follow the next model of the artist Uri Truchman: youtube.com/watch?v=h8EzpBvPtE4.

In that video he used a weird bearing (min 11:04) and I don't know what is the real name of this part.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just a thought, but why not ask the guy who posted the video?
I did it. 7 months ago :( In this time I decided stop the bookpress project, but now I want to do it. Please any help or hint is important. Maybe a link or something. Thanks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK - sorry.

He seemed to be reading and answering comments, so.... :(

Try a bookbinding forum? (he says, hoping he doesn't end up shuffling his feet and saying "I'll get my coat"...)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

These bearings are quite common and come in all kinds of sizes and shapes; "Pillow Blocks"

https://uk.banggood.com/810121517mm...1UaqjjVqf9gOo6SY3wW5djnniMdpl_WcaAojZEALw_wcB

1609062663279.png

1609062811081.png

The bearings you are enquiring about are only two hole mounting but these spread the load better with four hole mounting.

1609062962236.png

Over the years I've used many types of bearings including the four hole type shown above; the last time I used them was when I rebuilt a bandsaw that I heavily modified; I used two of these as seen in the pictures. For those unfamiliar with bearings you'll be surprised just how cheap good quality bearings are; for my needs I like to use SKF or similar. Top quality is "Timken" but at a higher price.

If you intend to use the threaded bar stock as shown in the video may I suggest you add a nut tightly above the bearing then the grub screws won't need to take the full load.

Bandsaw_0002.JPG

I used two of these pillow block bearings back to back with the driveshaft through both. These bearings are quite forgiving if the mounting is slightly out.

I've had the SKF bearing catalogue for many years but now I just browse online; here is the SKF catalogue in PDF format;

https://www.skf.com/binaries/pub12/...s_and_mounted_products_2018_tcm_12-314117.pdf

Hope this helps and good luck.

Kind regards, Colin.

Last edited:

Ask a Question