Wallpaper,possible asbestos ?

Reaction score
Does anyone know if this wallpaper looks like it could contain asbestos (red paper on doorway right hand side)I have included another Close up picture of a scrap of wallpaper aswell . I am really unsure as to how old the paper may be , the property was built in the 1930s. I have heard that wallpaper that is from 80s/90s could potentially contain asbestos in any vinyl coating. Also I am not sure if the floor tiles are vinyl tiles , which I know also can contain asbestos, we have not damaged any tiles ourselves, we have just lifted up the lino that was covering them and we will be replacing with new Lino. Can anyone offer any advice/ opinion on this please ?

Attachments

Reaction score
Its hard to say from a picture. Asbestos was out of use in the 80's and 90's so that information is wrong. Honestly even if I was there in person identifying asbestos onsite is an educated guess at best on flooring and wall paper. The only way to know 100% is to have the items in question tested. If there is even a slight chance that it is present I would have it tested. If present either go over top of it with new material or have it professionally abated ($$$$$$). Don't play around with it though as its not worth your life to save a little money.

Reaction score
It's difficult to tell from this photo. If you're in doubt about the wallpaper containing asbestos I'd have it tested.

Ask a Question