Wallpaper stripping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I plan to strip a wall using a steamer or, if needed, chemical stripper solution. The wall underneath appears to be ill prepared with top layer of wall paper pasted straight onto a thin layer of topcoat plaster which is on clay undercoat - image attached for reference. Any ideas of how to do this ‘properly’ and safely - ie save the wall underneath, will be welcomed.

Many thanks
49B28957-C049-4843-B426-134470AB7478.jpeg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Before you spend too much time carefully removing the paper, go around knocking the walls with your knuckles. Any hollow sounds means it's blown, and will need repairing. If a lot of it is then don't worry about being careful, as you'll need to get the walls re-skimmed anyway.

But if you find it's mostly sound, then try peeling away the vinyl layer - some papers are made like that so you leave behind what is effectively lining paper, and you just re-paper over that.

Failing that, a stiff hand-held wire brush to score through the vinyl layer, then just soak it. If you make up some wallpaper paste and slap it on it will cling to the paper and you can leave it for a bit to soak through, unlike water which will just run off.

Can't think why you would need anything chemical, and I've never used a steam stripper, so I can't advise on whether they are worth it or not IRL.

Ask a Question