Trying to stop a heavy lid opening more than 90 degrees

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I’m restoring a vintage chest into a pirate chest for a school. I’d like the lid to open just 90 degrees (otherwise the lid drops down backwards and could be a hazard).

I can’t seem to find 90 degree strap on hinges to put on the back, I don’t know what other options there are or what other hinges are called that may help...

The lid weighs 30lbs.
My 300n gas strut isn’t strong enough to hold the lid back (if kids push the lid back...)

Photos attached.

Thank you.

Attachments

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does the gas strut provide a soft-close action?

I would have thought the biggest hazard to avoid would be the lid crashing closed onto one of the little bas^H^H^H darlings fingers...

As for stopping it opening too far, why not a piece of chain each side?

1611885317705.png

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you for your reply, yes the soft close strut works (though not as smoothly as an angled closing one like ‘Douper’ but those ones only go up to 200n.

Yes, chains would work. I just wondered if there were some discreet but effective hinges I could use either on the front or back...

Thanks again...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There are - look for strut hinges - often used by people who make flight cases, so perhaps look for flight case strut hinges.

Ask a Question