Trying to make a table

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello! I hope that I'm posting this question in the right channel.

I'm trying to build myself an L shaped table using very basic kit. I want to make it stable, and good enough that one can work on it without there being any issues at all. The thing is... It's wobbly. It won't come apart, or fall or break if you put lots of weight on it, but if you tap it with your hand the thing shakes backwards and forwards for a few seconds.

I was hoping for any suggestions on how I can stop that from happening. Attached is a diagrammatic view of the table with a (hopefully) clear layout. It's my first time doing anything of this sort but I do find it pretty relaxing and lots of fun, so was hoping for some advice on how I can make this better without the use of heavy duty machinery or cutting steel or something like that so I can continue onwards as a hobby. If there are any questions, don't hesitate to ask and I'll answer.

20221229_192240.jpg 20221229_192149.jpg 20221229_192201.jpg
Thank you so much for any help or advice, and I hope to be somewhat more active on here :)

Cheers, Rik.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Welcome to the forum Rik.

Your design is a good first attempt but is much too light to ever be rigid enough. I've just selected the YouTube video showing another design which is much more rigid having heavier materials; you don't need lots of kit as long as you've got a saw and chisel etc for making joints; weight makes a huge difference. May I suggest you browse YouTube for ideas.

When first married I installed a fully fitted kitchen using very basic hand tools so understand what you are trying to do on a budget.

Good luck and now you're on the forum please keep us posted regarding progress also keep asking questions.

Happy New Year.

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
This might be too much work for you, but it can be done with 1" by 1" spruce, or fir, painted black to suit.

The red cross-members will prevent your desk from swaying front-to-back (radially as per the desk's length).
The blue cross-members will prevent your desk from swaying side-to-side (axially as per the desk's length).

1672770111858.png

If you want a cheap quick fix, go buy some metal "L" brackets, screw them to the underside of the desktop and to the wall. You need to screw into the "meat" of the wall. There are studs to either side (left or right) of the two electrical sockets. Take the socket cover off, poke a small flat screwdriver in between the wall box and the plaster to identify which side the wood is on. There are also cripple studs used at your window. "Google" cripple stud and you'll see how an exterior wall is framed.

Ask a Question