Timber casement window, rotted at the corner

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all. My lovely stained glass window is rotted at the bottom corner. I've tried and tried and every time it falls out. What to do please? Someone mentioned "epoxy". What is this pleaw. Greetings

Attachments

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

44 years ago having just got married the building society held back funds from the mortgage until similar rot was repaired to our bay window. The glass was single glazed and leaded and as we were on absolute maximum mortgage couldn't get someone in so this was my first ever woodworking job.

We visited a local DIY store where we bought just enough planed timber. I bought a 3/8" bevel edged chisel and already had an hammer. I also bought a single speed B&D drill plus one of these for cutting rebates;

https://www.tooltique.co.uk/shop/vi...orrucut-rebate-and-grooving-drill-attachment/

For the moulding I simply made the new frame with mortice & tenon joints then rounded the inside edges with abrasive paper. It took a lot of patience to remove the glass without breaking it but once the new frame was in position with the original glass installed the building society inspector was happy to pass the work and the funds were then released; I did the work on an old rickety farmhouse table left by the former owner doing this upstairs in the spare bedroom. Desperation got me into woodworking and now I not only enjoy woodworking I can make anything.

These days of YouTube video's and very cheap routers such work can be carried out by a complete novice if a lot of care is taken.

To answer your question regarding making good with filler; in my experience filler of any kind will fail at some point sooner or later; do the job and do it once; a bit of timber and a few tools are cheap enough.

I've just replaced six lots of glazing still retaining the original woodwork only needing new wooden beading which I made; three single panes of privacy glass and three double glazed units saving a lot of money whilst I enjoyed doing the work.

I always recommend researching then doing the job; all those years ago I had to learn from books.

Good luck.

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Colin, So kind of you to take trouble (others too of course). I have been reading around it and I'm about to have a go.

Best Alan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Please be careful not to break the glass Alan which is so easily done.

It would help if you could post details as work in progress. I'm 73 and still make lots of mistakes but I'm happy to share my red face because we all learn from our own mistakes not from we already know.

You did ask about epoxy and this is 2 pack adhesive/resin; example;

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/resi...ae9464fa2968141b258705ef09e83221&gclsrc=3p.ds

Around 1973 I was employed as a glass fiber laminator and used many gallons of 2 pack resin; we used to remove the side of a five gallon plastic container and fill it with resin then add catalyst; we always worked just the right side of panic as we used big rollers to spread it onto the job especially during summer when it set up so quickly; it's terrible stuff to work with and has lots of serious health risks; I ended up with dematitis to my fingers so had to quit the job; at the end of each shift I removed my wellies and overalls as one unit and stood them up. Acetone is the solvent and this too is highly dangerous it being very flammable indeed.

Epoxy is a generic term covering adhesives and resins; there are many types.

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wowee Colin, I'm only hugely wealthy, but this stuff !!! ?
Your last comment is very helpful. Hope to be back soon.

Ask a Question