Suwannee Tim here!

Reaction score
Country
United States
You are all thrilled to have me I am sure! Awesome to the marrow of my bones I am! Not really. In fact I am very ordinary. From my moniker you might deduce I like rivers and particularly the Suwannee River and such is the case. I am a former canoe paddler who hopes to return to paddling soon. I am a System Protection and Controls Tech II, system referring to the electric power system both transmission and distribution, 240kV down to 4kV, protection refers to the relays that detect faults on the system and trip breakers to clear the faults, controls refers to the stuff that the System Operator uses to monitor the system and trip and close breakers and II means I am senior. The relays I deal with are not the 8 pin or 11 pin things that plug into a socket, they are generally rack mount chassis with voltage inputs, current inputs, all 3 phase, digital I/O and communications, signal processing and computing, which decide to trip circuit breakers which are large, thousands of pounds or more and usually outside. For most people faults and breaker trips are rare, in my world faults and trips are as common as squirrels and lightning. I have done other things, I am a generalist, my knowledge is broad and shallow. I am a kind-of, sort-of machinist, welder, electrician, mechanic and carpenter. I got some college, some ME, some EE, some other stuff. I have lived in north east Florida all my life, I don't travel much. I shoot guns or at least I used to and I hope to do so again, soon. Well, that's me.

Ask a Question