Strange Propane Tubing in European Travel Trailer

Reaction score
My wife and I bought an older travel trailer that we are fixing up and we've run into (well many) a snag. We're guessing that it was originally built in Germany judging by all the labels in German.

The original propane fridge was ripped out and the propane line was just cut and crimped (jerks!) and we finally purchased a replacement just this week. I thought that it was just copper tubing that I could flare and attach a compressing fitting to end up with a male 3/8 flare fitting. Unfortunately, the tubing doesn't seem to be a North American standard.

Existing Tubing:

Looks like steel, and VERY thick:

Has about an 8mm diameter with a 5mm diameter core:

Or 5/16" and 3/16":

I originally tried using the flaring tool but it was way too loose for the 3/8 tubing holder:

And it was too tight for the 5/16 holder:

I tried forcing it in at 5/16 and no matter how much I tightened, it just wouldn't flare (too thick, I guess).

The old propane heater was torn out as well so I thought I would try to find the old line/connector for that. I was lucky and it was intact, but I have never seen a fitting like this:

It looks almost like there was a compression ring put on it like a fitting for a copper water line. Has anyone ever seen anything like this before, or might know of a way I could find a fitting that would work on this line which would allow me to end up with a 3/8" male flare connection? I'm at my wits end with this camper.

Thank you,

Kevin

Ask a Question