Strange window lock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have moved into a house with aluminium double glazed windows that of course have no keys for the locks. They are a 3 legged shape that my local glazier doesn't recognise. Can anyone identify the type from attached photo? Thanks, Dave.

Attachments

Reaction score
Nearest "thing" I have seen and installed are so called, Security Screws, used in an attempts to make removal of a screw "difficult"

Other Security Screws include "Snake Eyes" [two opposing holes in the screw head]

Could be that the lock you have is a screw?

if you think about it? imagine a "Yale" key, with the ridges that operate the lock and its function, which leg of the three in your lock would have the "ridges" ?

Ken.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for your reply Ken. I don't think the locks are any kind of security screws, no leg appears any different to any other for a key function. I have always assumed that the right shape would simply insert and twist, perhaps with a push needed, to release the catch. I have tried inserting a cluster of three tiny bradawls but with no luck.
Dave

Reaction score
How about?? The lock functions exactly as you describe, correct fitting screwdriver bit, pushes down on a hidden locking plate to allow the lock to function?

Possibly worth a look?? at the top left group of driver bits?

Ken.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I thought I had every size and shape of security bit known to man. I must have going on for a hundred of them in my garage. But I have never seen a tri-wing bit. So thanks again Ken, I'll try and source one from my engineering mates or even splash out and treat myself to the Draper kit!

Reaction score
Never fails !! the last drill you pick up from the box is the size you want? the other dozen or so ---Well---?

Ken

Ask a Question