Sound proof plasterboard weight

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks. I recently purchased some sound proofing plasterboard and am a bit concerned about the weight. 28kg boards & 1200mm square. I am trying to fix six boards i.e 3 wide by 2 high. They have a rubber back and look pretty good.. Its a party wall at first floor level which is drylined. So already plasterboarded and sounds like timber battens to a masonry wall. I didn't want to remove the current plasterboard wall and having discussed with the supplier, I understand that reasonable results can be achieved by fixing the boards to the plasterboard. So given advice on fixings and reasonably happy about the process. My concern is with adding the extra weight to the pre-existing plasterboard wall. Have searched the internet but nothing really about adding weight. And these are heavy. I appreciate that perhaps taking down the current plasterboard might be the best option but am trying to avoid if possible. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, you should have no problem at all attaching the new heavier board to the existing plaster board. However you have to ensure structural integrity.
The only way you can do this is to buy a good quality stud detector and buy 50mm plasterboard screws to attach the sound proof board to the existing, invisible stud work.
The way to do this is to detect the stud work with the detector, mark where they are either on the floor or ceiling, or adjacent walls with a pencil, and use an 1800 spirit level for marking and impact driver to drive the 50mm screws through the sound board in to the hidden wooden stud work. If you can’t afford a stud detector, the standard way is for the first stud to be flush to the ceiling, fitted horizontally, they are 2” wide and distanced all the way to the floor at 400mm intervals. Hope this makes sense

Ask a Question