Manhole Cover / Inspection Chamber Sound Proofing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a manhole cover / inspection chamber in my lean-to conservatory. Every time the shower runs, I can hear the waste water flowing in the channels below.

How can I effectively sound-proof the cover/chamber lid?

PXL_20220907_103217870.jpg
PXL_20220823_144250804.MP.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a manhole cover inside my conservatory but it was under the insulated metal base so sound was never an issue. Have you considered some type of flooring which would help to soundproof. The cover does look very old and I doubt it is air tight so replacing it with a new one may help

Reaction score
Country
Canada
SUGGESTIONS / COMMENTS:

1) Put some foam gasketing (approx 1/4", 6mm) around inner perimeter of the cover.

2) Too, if you have a hobby (or large kitchen) that involves an exhaust fan, remember that exhaust fans create a negative static pressure in an enclosed envelope (building). If you are commonly running a negative static pressure, you will be drawing in airborne contaminates/odors from anywhere the exhaust fan can replace the air. Remember, air can't be drawn out of a building WITHOUT air getting INTO the building SOMEWHERE. A negative static might be pulling air INTO the building from the open drain-ways under that cover, and with that air, comes the rank/dank smell of open grey water chases.

3) Wash some bleach down all the drains feeding into that open pit. Perhaps, while your not correcting the problem, you might be able to clean/sanitize the drain-way of particles that are producing a poor odor.

Here in North America, we never have open drain-ways like that, they are all solidly piped with no possibility of releasing gases/odors.

Its all I got.

Good Luck.

Ask a Question