Manhole Cover Advice Please

Reaction score
Hello, I hope someone can help an amateur!
The previous owner of our house was a bit of a bodger and one of his bodges now needs sorting out.
He seems to have reduced the top opening of the access chamber of the drain by overlaying a couple of slabs and then tarmacking over the top.
It looks to me like I'll have to strip back the tarmac, remove the slabs, and then get a proper 'top' section for the access chamber with an integral lid.
Can anyone confirm this from the pictures?
Would the top section sit on the thin section near the top or does that need to be taken down to the upper of the two thick sections?
Or do you think the thin section may have a rebate to take a lid?
The chamber is rectangular and measures 24" by 18" (600mm by 450mm?) internally.
Pictures here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/41857625@N03/

Many thanks,
Jerry

Reaction score
HI jerry

It looks like you need a cover and frame. The frame is simply bedded onto the chamber with a sharp sand/cement mix, and a triangular fillet run round the outside. This may take you to the level of the existing.
The frame can easily distort, so check with the cover in place whilst installing.

Ask a Question