Soundproofing a party wall

Discussion in 'Misc DIY' started by markbuild, May 18, 2018.

1. markbuild

markbuild

Hi there. We have noisy neighours, so I am trying to soundproof the party wall . I have found several sites offering advice, but some of it is a bit conflicting. One thing they all seem to suggest to use is a resilient layer. I have been looking at Genie Clips and resilient bars. Any one got any experience of using these? The other option seems to be stick on panels. Any comments/advice appreciated. Thanks in advance.

markbuild, May 18, 2018
    1. Advertisements

2. markbuild

gawaine

These systems will give you resilience. Ive used res bar a long time ago, which was ok. I have recently used the Genieclip system, and it worked pretty well.Their website says Genieclip is 7dB higher performance than res bar. Well, I have no way of measuring it, but does seem to work better. With the res bar way of doing it , its easy to make a mistake. I had to redo some plaasterboard screws on the final layer, that had gone all the way through to the studs, which rather defeats the object.

gawaine, Jul 4, 2018
    1. Advertisements

3. markbuild

markbuild

Hi, Im a bit confused about this, can you explain why the resilience is important? I have also come across countless stick on solutions including soundproofing wall paper ( this cant work , can it ?!?). I suppose the bottom line is this , if I want max performance, what do you reckon I should use? Should I go for an independent wall? Or stick on ?? Advice greatly appreciated ! M

markbuild, Jul 10, 2018
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question