Soundproofing a party wall

Reaction score
Hi there. We have noisy neighours, so I am trying to soundproof the party wall . I have found several sites offering advice, but some of it is a bit conflicting. One thing they all seem to suggest to use is a resilient layer. I have been looking at Genie Clips and resilient bars. Any one got any experience of using these? The other option seems to be stick on panels. Any comments/advice appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
These systems will give you resilience. Ive used res bar a long time ago, which was ok. I have recently used the Genieclip system, and it worked pretty well.Their website says Genieclip is 7dB higher performance than res bar. Well, I have no way of measuring it, but does seem to work better. With the res bar way of doing it , its easy to make a mistake. I had to redo some plaasterboard screws on the final layer, that had gone all the way through to the studs, which rather defeats the object.

Reaction score
Hi, Im a bit confused about this, can you explain why the resilience is important? I have also come across countless stick on solutions including soundproofing wall paper ( this cant work , can it ?!?). I suppose the bottom line is this , if I want max performance, what do you reckon I should use? Should I go for an independent wall? Or stick on ?? Advice greatly appreciated ! M

Reaction score
Hi markbuild, If you can you should always go for a independent wall, this means you don't want any physical connection between the old party wall and the new structure. With this when I have done any soundproofing I've used the Genie clip system which I found on www.soundstop.co.uk. This can be quite easily attached to your new frame and then the acoustic plasterboards onto the furring strips. of course the only drawback with this solution is the loss of space. So if that was a major problem you could look at soundstops SM20 wall panels, now I haven't used these myself but talking to the guys there it does seem a good alternative. Will attach link to that as well https://www.soundstop.co.uk/soundproofing/soundproofing-walls/Sm20-wall-solution4.php

Ask a Question