Best way to soundproof a door gap?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, looking for some advice about soundproofing a gap; as you can see from the pictures below, I've got a sliding door between my bedroom and living room, and it lets a lot of sound through, mostly from the gap at the edges. The door will never need to be opened. Ideally the solution would look presentable from the bedroom side. Picture 1 shows the door from the bedroom side, 2 shows it from the living room side, 3 shows the gap from the side and 4 shows the slide rail at the top. Thanks to anyone who can advise!

Attachments

Reaction score
Hi and welcome.

If the doors aren't solid wood, a lot of the sound will come through them as much as through any gaps.
The easiest way is to hang a heavy pair of curtains on one side or the other.

Reaction score
Country
United States
If they never need to be opened, assuming you have another door into your bedroom, why not remove the door, frame it in and cover it with drywall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I think scottl's idea is a goodun - if you're never going to want to open the doors, get rid of them and fill the opening. Don't know what the door panels are underneath, but they look nicely veneered - maybe they could be repurposed?

Also, a good tip, (IMO :D ):

Hollow wall fixings are all very well, but if you think you might want to fix shelves or cabinets to the new wall, instead of just having the normal hollow construction, fill in between the frame members with thick ply so that you have something solid to screw into.

i.e. if this is a plan view of a section of the wall, instead of this:

1609814599975.png

do this

1609814653881.png

If you know anybody who's renewing their kitchen and is tossing out old laminated worktops they make an excellent sheet material to use.

Ask a Question