Do these look like asbestos tile (see cutaway)?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello! We would like to replace our bathroom floor but have some concerns. Our house is built in the 1920s and we’ve only lived here for a couple years. We’re not sure what the previous owner did to the floor but it is falling apart. The bathroom is around 9'x9' and there are 4" ceramic tiles. The grout is crumbling and several of the tiles are loose.

Due to the house's age, we’re concerned that there might be asbestos tile and/or asbestosis based mastic somewhere under the layers, but we are not certain. It's possible that the bathroom was a later addition to the house, too. No idea!

Here are some photos - do these look like asbestos or just a layer of ceramic tile over plywood?
Thanks for any thoughts you have!

'

'

Reaction score
Asbestos based products were widely used in the building trades until relatively recently (1986) in all sorts of things from soil pipes, guttering, insulation etc.

I'm no expert on asbestos, but the white form often used in products is the least dangerous form and in the UK, household waste sites will accept double bagged asbestos waste. Note that this is asbestos incorporated into products.

On the face of it your tiles look like normal ceramic tiles and laying tiles on plywood sheet is a common practice if the sub-floor (floorboards) are in poor condition.

If you have any doubts, get it tested and if you do decide to remove it yourself take precautions like disposable PPE. suitable mask and bag as you go along.

Avoid dust if possible by minimal cutting or breaking and clean up with a decent vacuum cleaner with suitable bags and filters.

Reaction score
Another idea, certainly not a professional approach but to me makes sense. If you are concerned you could get some contact paper to cover the stuff as you picked it up. Helps to help dust and such from blowing around. Or keep it damp when pulling it up, Helps keep the dust down. With a mask and on open window I don't think there would be a ton of adverse exposure nor danger to anyone else. Also, you could buy some cheapo stick down tiles to put on top then rip the whole mess up. they are sticky and keep small debris contained.

Reaction score
@MarineBob
Yes that's a good idea.
You can get rolls of plastic film used or called carpet protector that is ideal for holding dodgy dust and fragments together.
I have a friend who has some bathroom tiles that tested positive for white asbestos despite the fact they looked like vinyl.
I'm not convinced because the house built in 1958 had a load of stuff containing asbestos including the gutters, soffits and soil pipes which were probably cut on site and would have distributed asbestos dust inside the house.
In those days it would have been a couple of fags at lunchtime and sandwiches with all the dirty overalls on.

Ask a Question