Projects

Reaction score
Having a sort out in the garden

This conifer we bought as a "dwarf" over thirty years ago, was fine for the first twenty, but then began to to put on a spurt, particularly in the last couple of years.

P1020400.JPG

So yesterday, I had it reduced to this. It cost an arm and a leg to have it taken down.

P1020414.JPG

My next job, due to pressure from my wife is to lose the koi pool. We've had it for over thirty years and I've had less interest in it recently. It hasa pump, UV and an air pump running 24/7. Plus some added heat in cold winters, so therell be some energy savings.

P1060443.jpg

My intention is to have it filled in and finished with paving at the same height and shape as the water surface. We'll have a few of the rocks removed at this end in the middle of that bed that sits on the pool collar and have a step down. Just need to find a builder. Can't be too big a job, after all I did dig it out myself...on my own!

The plan is to reposition, some of the fifteen roses my wife has in ceramic pots on the patio.

P1020392.JPG

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
You've got such a nice garden! :D

That conifer must have been a real pain to take down with the pond and fence nearby, looks like they got the bulk out with minimal disruption :). We had a conifer planted behind a fence that forms the rear boundary to our house, which is technically on our land, and it's been growing and growing... I hope it stops soon ;).

It's a shame to hear about your Koi pond though, especially as you've had it for so long. Do you think you'll miss it, or is a good time to remove it?

Reaction score
You've got such a nice garden! :D

That conifer must have been a real pain to take down with the pond and fence nearby, looks like they got the bulk out with minimal disruption :). We had a conifer planted behind a fence that forms the rear boundary to our house, which is technically on our land, and it's been growing and growing... I hope it stops soon ;).

It's a shame to hear about your Koi pond though, especially as you've had it for so long. Do you think you'll miss it, or is a good time to remove it?

This is probably a good time as I will have to move the fish on before starting anything.

As far as missimg it, probably not much. I do feel responsible for the fish and I would like them to go to good homes. But I'm not getting any younger, the garden does take a bit of time, probably more than it needs to as I like to keep it "just right."
But I've my other hobbies, Golf three times a week, weather permitting, my vinyl jukeboxes, my tenor sax and my leccy piano.

Ask a Question