Taking Control of Home Tasks & Projects

Reaction score
Country
United States
I find that all too often people are faced with costly repairs for things that went unnoticed for too long.

I have been Facility Management for decades and it was always an uphill battle to change repair cultures from reactive to proactive. I have developed a desktop database with MS Access that I use for my home now. I am in the process of releasing it to everyone at NO Cost. You have to see it to believe it. I will not post a link unless the moderators feel it is okay, as spamming is lame And I respect all the hard work it takes to run a forum.

Reaction score
Hi and welcome.

When it comes to things in the home, many people indulge in "provocative therapy," Use it until it breaks, then replace it.
That isn't the best way to do everything, but for much there's no alternative choice.

Nothing wrong with having a plan, but for many of us it's in our heads.

Although I'm reasonably capable of DIY, in my working life as superstore manager, much of the job was just "observation."
I think I apply that to stuff in the home. I tend to notice things when they start needing attention.

For the average home owner, there's not a lot to go wong that you can prevent.

The biggest "capital equipment" replacement expense for us three years ago was a new combi boiler. The old one was still working, just that it was getting a bit long in the tooth, although serviced regularly every two years.

But my wife, this year, spent more than the cost of the boiler, on new curtains for most of the house, "I had no idea that they needed replacing."
The rest in the house is just domestic appliances etc. which as they say, "have no user accessible serviceable parts."

On the subject of domestic appliances, most these days are thrown together. In the last two years, we've had a washing machine, dishwasher and big fridge/freezer made by the best known companies Bosch and Meile replaced under guarantee.
Nothing I could have done to prevent them going wrong.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Welcome to the forum fstetson; thanks for adding your useful suggestion. I'm much like Doghouse in prevention is better than cure; fix it before it gets out of hand.

I stopped making daily plans many years ago because they seldom worked out as expected; even now 20 years into retirement I get out of bed wondering what problem is awaiting me; usually I start the day fighting our new smart TV which torments me then of course the silly error messages on my PC.

Yesterday afternoon I was at peace with the world enjoying a rare session in the workshop when my lovely wife knocked on the workshop door; a light bulb had blown knocking all the bungalow lights out as the mcb had tripped; something so trivial on its own but exasperating when added up with so many other trivial things.

Then comes our dire weather; the forecasters have problems accurately forecasting our weather because we live very near "The Pennines" on a steep valley side; the forecast can be for a wonderful day as I look out at the pouring rain. I was completing a lathe center steady in the workshop when the metal cutting bandsaw threw its blade so yet another unexpected diversion. During our brief summer if I work with the workshop doors open I'm pestered by callers every one wanting something from me; the Jehovah Witnesses are a real pain especially as I'm totally non religious; it's always a different pair who arrive sometimes dragging a child with them; why don't they get a life and leave mine alone.

I've had to stop doing favours too because it got out of hand with me working on neighbours properties at one time I was maintaining our own bungalow and gardens but our immediate neighbour a retired lady living on her own started me off with a simple repair job until I ended up spending a week erecting a fence for her; after 7 years she's just moved and no way will I be doing anything for our new neighbours; lesson well learned. We've done a great deal of work for our neighbours and in return we've had one neighbour accept a single parcel for us whilst we were out during the last 33 years.

I could go on forever but I take each day as it comes now; I've already visited three supermarkets this morning and am just enjoying a mug of tea before heading into the workshop to sort the bandsaw out; that's my plan but by the time I put on my workshop clothes and reach the door it could all change; I often feel like going into the middle of a big field and screaming.

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
I'm not a particular fan of any modern technology. I consider nothing "smart" about stuff that quickly goes out of date,.
I'm happy with the technology of my vinyl jukeboxes which didn't change in thirty years.

I've a Sony Androiod TV, I changed it last year from a smaller Panasonic Viera which is now in our summerhouse at the bottom of the garden. Under both TVs were a Humax HDR 2000T recorder, a Virgin Tivo box, a DVD/CD player and a VHS recorder/player (I've still got a lot of Film noir on tape). I was able to play a lot of music mp3s on a stick in the side of the Panasonic.
Changing to the Sony meant that USB mp3 sticks won't work on it, (wrong format) though they will on the Humax. The Sony also has no Scart sockets just USBs, so I needed plug in converters for the DVD and VHS players,
Then recently I found the Humax wouldn't record any more and more often than not play any of the saved files, (Humax service were no help). Nor would it play any of the files on a little Sonnics hard drive I had where I'd backed up about 100 films and documentaries as I never trusted the Humax (I back up everything everywhere). So if I wanted to watch any of the files on the Sonnics I had to use my laptop.

So a week ago I bought a Humax FVP 5000T. Much more up to date, has three tunes rather thsn two, with a two year guarantee, except it chucks anything you record into the same file. With the 2000T you could put recordings in different folders.

Experimenting, I found that the 2000T would play the saved files if I plugged into the spare fourth USB socket in the Sony. It maybe that not being connected to an aerial resolved some conflicts.

So now under the TV in my den..alright.. our front room, I've this lot. (I bought a matching Sony TV for the lounge at the same time but not Android) as long as she can get CSI dramas and similar on her Tivo box and shopping channels on it, she's happy),

I've managed to hide the snake pit of cables behind it, they are plugged into a little 4x2 adapter (all sockets in use!) I shortened all the mains power leads, as they were far too long, but had to fit new plug tops as everything is "molded" these days.
I had the Virgin cable TV socket fitted immediately behind the TV.

Unfortunately the aerial cable has to pass under the curtains to the the corner of the window frame so I can't hide it.

P1040726.JPG

(my tenor sax lives in the corner for most of the time, it stops my wife knocking it over with a vacuum cleaner).

Everything is now working after a fashion, although I have to cover the infra red sensor of the Humax I'm not using at that moment, with a card as the remotes will work both. I've still got my saved files in two places as the 2000T will play the same files on its hard drive backed up on the Sonnics.

To be fair the Sony works well as a TV. I like the fact that you can ask it to find stuff, its voice recognition is excellent.

Digressing.... I don't like to see cables, so I use stick-on plastic trunking to get them off the floor and away from my wife's vacuum cleaners. Here, the cables have to go in both directions, one enables me to play the audio on anything under the TV through my vintage hi-fi in the wall unit on the right.

P1040716.JPG

This hides the three power cables to my electric piano, its amplifier and music stand light.

P1040717.JPG

This stuff sticks to anytrhing, though it can be screwed on and the top just snaps on and off. It's just £3.60 for three metres.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The biggest "capital equipment" replacement expense for us three years ago was a new combi boiler. The old one was still working, just that it was getting a bit long in the tooth, although serviced regularly every two years.
Just had mine replaced.

The old one (17-18yrs) was getting well flaky.

But then I'd never had it serviced. Yeah, I know.

Maybe if I had, it wouldn't have gone flaky.

But then how much of the cost of a new boiler was paid for by 17/18 services never paid for?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
a light bulb had blown knocking all the bungalow lights out as the mcb had tripped
Well, if you really can't be persuaded to make the switch to CFLs or LEDs, do this:

Either change the lighting MCB(s) to fuse carriers, or change the 6A MCB(s) to 32A, from it/them run a short length(s) of 2.5mm² to an FCU(s) with a 5-10A fuse in it and continue the lighting circuit(s) from there It's the surge when a filament blows and briefly creates a plasma arc which trips the breaker. A fuse won't blow so quickly.

Jehovah Witnesses are a real pain especially as I'm totally non religious; it's always a different pair who arrive sometimes dragging a child with them; why don't they get a life and leave mine alone.
I'm also a devout atheist, so no special pleading from me, but they do have a life, and they dedicate (part of) it to what they sincerely and good-intentionally regard as vital to save the lives or souls of others.

Whatever you think of their social attitudes and structures, when did you ever hear of any JWs killing non believers, or attacking abortion clinics, or inflaming religious hatred by burning another religion's holy book, or invading and occupying neighbouring land because they thought it should be theirs?

PITA yes, but sincere and well meaning, and it doesn't really take much time to firmly but politely and kindly say "No thank you".

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm very sincere about my Lathes He who knows and my lathes are real; I can see and touch them but if I went around knocking on doors preaching about lathes I'd be quickly carted away as a nut case.

A few years ago whilst repointing the end of our bungalow working from the top of a home made wooden platform; I had the Hydrovane compressor running down in the workshop at the end of a 50' long hose powering an air chisel; I was really going for it; kitted out in full safety gear I was sending debris flying in all directions kicking up a dust storm.

I had reached the worst highest place as I attacked the mortar joints when to my horror out of the corner of my eye I noticed movement at the foot of the platform; someone was waving something at me. I immediately stopped and after a while I was finally back on the ground removing my helmet etc.. to find a little girl of about four years old; she had been waving a copy of The Watchtower to me being watched by I assume her stupid parents standing at the bottom of our pathway. Jehovah Witnesses endangering their little child; yes they are very sincere indeed.

I believe in live and let live but I don't try to push my beliefs onto others. Two of our very best friends are Jehovah Witnesses but because of our totally opposing views we never discuss religion; they are a wonderful couple whom we fully trust.

This Covid virus is deadly and causing massive disruption to lives and industry but in my own life it's affording me peace at last from unwanted callers; not just Jehovah Witnesses but many who constantly visiting us every one wanting something from us; if I try to work in my workshop with the doors wide open during rare sunny warm summers days I'm constantly interrupted; I'm sorry if I sound to be moaning but I just want some peace in retirement; I've had enough of people and problems whilst working.

You've made an excellent job of tidying your cables Doghouse and you've got some wonderful kit to play with. Years ago I too was fed up of trailing cables these at my computer desk it at the time being a farmhouse table with many cables dangling from it; I decided to make a new bespoke desk but at the design stage I gave the cables a great deal of thought; in the end I designed the new desk top to include seven single 13A sockets these powered from a single cable on a 13A plug into the wall socket; it works a treat; things like scanner and printer are now plugged in at the back of the desk and the cables neatly stored.

Kind regards, Colin W.

New desk._0001.JPG

Desk almost completed.

New desk_0002.JPG

Rear of desk top showing socket arrangement.

Ask a Question