Need help with wiring (light fixture / alarm combo) ... I screwup by not taking a photo

Reaction score
I just moved in and there's an old alarm I removed to replaced it with a kidde alarm system. When I untangle the wire, I forgot to take a picture now I'm stuck as to what to do.

There's 5 wire ...
1. there's three wire (red, white and black) on to one side. To the other side is just the black and white wire.
2. When all wire are disconnected, With a voltmeter, the hot wire is the red wire.

Black--------------- -------------------Black
White--------------- -------------------white
-------------------red (HOT)

1. When I connect the red (power wire) to the black wire of the other side ... light doesn't turn on. Using a voltmeter, the red power wire connected to the black wire on the other side are both hot; the white wire (on the two wire side is hot). The black and white wire on the three wire side is not hot.

(HOT) Black---------------------connected----------------------------red (HOT)
-------------------Black
(HOT) White--------------- -------------------white

2. When I connect the red (power wire) to the black wire of the other side ... then connect the white wire of one side to the other, I turn on the light and it turns on. Using a voltmeter:

Light switch turn on:
(HOT) Black---------------------connected----------------------------red (HOT)
-------------------Black
(HOT) White---------------------connected------- -------------------white (HOT)

Light switch turn off: nothing is hot
(not hot) Black---------------------connected----------------------------red (not hot)
-------------------Black
(not hot) White---------------------connected------- -------------------white (not hot)

3. I like to know what I need to connect between the wires so that the light turn on, at the same time I can connect the
addition of fire alarm (has a black / white and red) to the system.
However, the connection should be that when I turn off the lights, I don't lose power to the alarm system (as when nothing is hot when light switch if turn off).

Thank you.

Attachments

Ask a Question