What tools do I need for relatively small wood projects?

Reaction score
I am retired and want to make small pieces of furniture, do DYI home improvement projects, like putting up molding and installing new insulation, put up a new wall, etc.

I don't have a saw and am not sure what to buy. (circular saw, hand saw, miter saw, table saw....etc.)

Is it possible to find a list that says "to start projects making bookcases, planter boxes, small coffee tables, display shelves, cut molding, create closet shelving, etc." that would say it in terms a person teaching themself to do it could communicate to a Home Depot salesman or use to order what is needed online?

I have a drill and a few dremels of different sizes. I don't have a table for a saw, yet, so that needs to be on the list, I am pretty sure, too.

Thanks for any help offered!

Synthia

Reaction score
It depends how adventurous you want to be, but you can achieve quite good results with just basic tools.
If you've multiple projects in mind. then more sophisticated and expensive tools are worthwhile.

I built this in 1987 with;
Rip saw
Tennon saw.

These Black and Decker hand tools
Belt sander
Electric drill.
Circular saw.

Screwdriver, (didn't have an electric screwdriver thirty years ago}.
Hammer
Spirit level

Itt's still in perfect condition.

More recently, I built these bookshelves with just a rip saw, electric jigsaw and the same belt sander, plus a screw driver.
The wood was bull-nosed hardwood window sills.

P1000961.JPG

Reaction score
I would look for a Men's Shed in your area. Google and then it asks you to put in your post code and it will tell you the nearest Men's Shed. Ours in the Carse of Gowrie has all the tools you would ever need including a CNC machine and a large 3d printer. No need to buy tools you might just use once.

Reaction score
I have had a table saw for ever.....I guess since the 1970's. It is an old Sears brute machine that you see sold on Craig's List etc for a $100 or so. If you have the room, and ability to move the sucker to your house, that would be my choice. The newer light weight saws are pretty nice too for a couple of hundred bucks and are moveable. The miter saws suggested are nice too. Get a couple of carbide blades. For finish work, get a 60 or 80 tooth (assuming 10 inch blade). I'm not even sure non carbide blades are still sold but they are not worth the cost compared to carbide for durability. If you get a table saw, I have several 'rules' that allow me to keep fingers: Never reach across a moving blade, never put any body parts closer to the blade that a spread hands width, always use a push stick, never push or pull directly towards the blade. A big table saw might be a bit intimidating at first but once you figure out how to use it, you can make perfectly square, straight cuts any size you want. Also, do not believe the miter gauge or rip fence to be true. Measure, check and recheck with a square etc to make sure your cuts are true. You might be able to buy an after market fence that is better quality but for an amateur I don not think its worth the price, unless you grab one at a yard sale. Oh, and don't forget safety glasses.

Also get a good drill, a corded model for the shop. It won't run out of battery just when you need it. And buy good screws. Get the kind with star/torx heads and you won't be swearing at stripped heads. Get a few extra bits for your driver. Good luck

One more idea. Get a good saber saw, I guess they are called jig saws these days. You will want to cut some curves at some point and with a framing square you can cut studs and such pretty straight with it.

Reaction score
I am retired and want to make small pieces of furniture, do DYI home improvement projects, like putting up molding and installing new insulation, put up a new wall, etc.

I don't have a saw and am not sure what to buy. (circular saw, hand saw, miter saw, table saw....etc.)

Is it possible to find a list that says "to start projects making bookcases, planter boxes, small coffee tables, display shelves, cut molding, create closet shelving, etc." that would say it in terms a person teaching themself to do it could communicate to a Home Depot salesman or use to order what is needed online?

I have a drill and a few dremels of different sizes. I don't have a table for a saw, yet, so that needs to be on the list, I am pretty sure, too.

Thanks for any help offered!

Synthia

Reaction score
Check out this site. It is excellent. There are tons of easy plans for furniture. And she even has a page for beginners talking about tools. I only have a cordless circular saw, 6ft level, cordless drill, small orbital sander, screwdriver, hammer, kreg jig, kreg clamp, speed square, measuring tape, eye protection; and I was able to make a great coffee table, 2 media towers, coat rack, etc. I had most of my plywood cut at the lumber yard for me in strips the right width (and just did the cross cuts myself) as I don't have a table saw. I recommend that, or for just a couple cuts you can use circular saw and clamp the 6ft level down as a guide, or get a cheap table saw if you have space. Chop saw would be the next item I buy if I have more time, money, and storage space.

http://www.ana-white.com/2012/12/get-started

http://www.ana-white.com/content/tryde-coffee-table

http://www.ana-white.com/2011/10/benchmark-storage-or-media-tower

Last edited:

Ask a Question