Power Nailer

Reaction score
I purchased a used 496 which uses .27 charges which I have.

I could not get it to fire so I sent it to a repair shop specializing in these devices.

The repair facility assured me the "nailer" as I think of it, works fine.

I still can't fire it & do not believe the trigger mechanism "snaps".

I pull the barrel fully extended then pull it back into the gun, press it hard into the surface being nailed and nothing fires.
Yes I have inserted the fastener and have inserted the charge strip upward until the bottom of the strip is flush to the handle bottom as the directions indicate.

Is there a certain procedure I am not following?

Reaction score
I think you are talking about what we call sown here as a Hilti Gun.

When you pull the trigger does the gun make any clicking noises?

I am assuming this a nailer that is using a brass case with a powder charge in it to shoot the nail.

If this is true have you looked at the end of the cartridge to see if the firing pin has indented the edge of the case?

If it has try a new charge strip the one you have maybe bad.

If it has not then the firing pin is not making contact with cartridge for what ever reason. Dirt, worn, or incorrect cases

Reaction score
When you pull the trigger does the gun make any clicking noises?
see above ...& below ...

I still can't fire it & do not believe the trigger mechanism "snaps".

Reaction score
Cartridge driven nailers have safety releases on the barrel. You have to push down on the device
hard against your project enough to release the safety to fire it. It is designed so people can't shoot it across the room
and also so you are applying enough pressure to make the screw,nail go into the wall or concrete instead of
across the room.
I have used several types of these and all had safety releases on the bottom of the firing tube.

Larry

Ask a Question