Old ch pipe in new floor

Reaction score
I recently spent thousands having living room and dining floors dug up down to bare earth and brand new high quality foundation put in, with high spec insulation and under floor heating. However, I opted for "belt and braces" and asked for a pipe also for radiators in both rooms.

I noticed the plumber used a section of old ch piping complete with joints and elbow joins which had previously run around the whole room above the skirting board. It is just standard copper pipe - no covering. Now after reading several postings on this site about using thick pipe and plastic covering I am extremely worried this plumber might have landed me with a very dicey situation where the fortune I have spent could all be undone by pipes leaking or even joints breaking. Please note this was a well known local company I used - not a cowboy! Of-course not knowing anything about plumbing I never asked the guy if he really should be re-using old pipe with joins which would be embedded in screed.

Anyone any ideas/thoughts?

Reaction score
Copper pipes should really be run in ducts built in the floor but as a minimum they should be coated or wrapped with PVC tape to prevent the cement /plaster coming into contact with, and corroding the copper.

Pete

Ask a Question