Working an Old Soft Copper Water Pipe

Reaction score
I have to make a new connection to an old soft copper pipe. I relocated the water softener to the garage and have run the PVC pipe almost to the original copper pipe. The copper is about 35 years old and passes through the footer in a poly pipe sleeve for protection from the concrete. The place that the copper pipe is located is site of a future deck and the copper pipe will stick up about 6" above the deck.

I see three options:

1. Bend the copper pipe about 45 degrees to be below the top of the deck. However, I am worried about bending the copper pipe. The bend would be with the original coil direction, but how well does copper pipe of that age bend?

2. Cut the pipe shorter and add a ell on the end, but I am concerned about soldering a pipe as well. I know I will need to do a good cleaning on the before I try anything.

3. Add an additional length of copper pipe to the end of the existing pipe to daylight from under the future deck before connecting to the PVC. I have the same questions about soldering as above.

I was planning on using a stainless steel/PVC female adapter to go from PVC to copper.

Any comments or suggestions? Thanks

PS: I cleaned the pipe in the second image and it looks solid with no pitting. I did notice that further down the pipe it had flattened out a little, probably from the original install. There is about 4" of good round pipe to work with.

IMG_0301.JPG IMG_0302.JPG

Last edited:

Ask a Question