Mounting a Camera to Cement Fiber Siding

Reaction score
I have a new construction house that has cement fiber siding (HardieBoard essentially).

I would like to mount a small dome security camera to this siding. I already have a small hole in the siding where the wiring comes out. The camera is fairly small (roughly the size of a softball cut in half), and fairly light (guessing two or three pounds). I actually also bought a plastic "L" bracket to help with mounting. To be clear: the bracket will attach to the siding, and the camera will attach to the bracket.

The question is, what is the best way to attach the bracket to this kind of siding? I'm not sure if I'll be lucky enough to have this thing land in front of a stud or even furring strip; let's assume we'll be between studs/furring strips. So I'm relying on the siding board itself to support this camera.

I've searched around the 'net looking for an answer, and it looks like opinions differ. I've seen suggestions to just use a wood screw (or similar course-thread screw), others say use a plastic anchor.

I'm hoping there's someone here with experience mounting smallish/lightish things to fiber cement siding.

Thanks!

Ask a Question