Mortar turning white

Reaction score
My mortar is turning white on my fire place. My house is 35 years old. What do I do about it?

Reaction score
My mortar is turning white on my fire place. My house is 35 years old. What do I do about it?
Go to lowes, Home Depot or other like build store. Tell them you want to buy a type of paint designed for changing the color of your grout. It will be very time consuming but easier than grinding out old mortar and pointing in new. They also sell masonry paint, you could use. It would be cheaper than the grout paint as it is sold in bigger volume. Your main problem would be finding the color you could live with. You could tape the brick off and paint with small brush. Hope this helps

Reaction score
Diamond blade for grinder, grout bag, mortar, and mortar color.

Grind out the joints a bit and apply the mortar with the added color in to the joints with the grout bag.

After a few weeks you might want to go to HD or Lowes and get acid to clean up your stack. It's a bit of a task but I did mine last summer and it looks great.

Ask a Question