Cowboy builders, weak mortar

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A nearby neighbour (a widow) had a small kitchen extension built recently, and we have found that the mortar used to lay the external brickwork is far too weak. It can be taken out by running a finger over it and it just comes away easily. I know that one solution for rectification would be demolition and rebuild of the wall. Not being a builder, I have no knowledge of any alternatives.

Anyone on here able to suggest an alternative?

Surveyors report has been provided and the matter is due to go to court, but she needs to know what timescale any rectification will take once the judgement and refunds come through.

Colin

Reaction score
Several issues.

Because of C19 the court system is in chaos and backlogs are long.

Even if the Cowboy is found guilty and the court awards for your neighbour, the builder will declare bankruptcy, or similar so there will not be any funds to give to your neighbour, or the court awards in favour of your neighbour, but may have extreme difficulty in getting any money from the builder.

Were the payments to this builder made using either a Credit Card or Bank Card? if so there is a clause in both of these payment methods, it is called a Section 75 Could well be worth a look??

If covered under the above, the card company has to offer a refund, as for repair?? sounds like a demolish and re-build.

Ken.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I don't know how payment was made, so can't confirm. We suspect that he will declare bankruptcy, but a lien has already been placed on his assets by the court.

Additionally, there are several people in the trade prepared to serve karma, although that is hearsay.

Colin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
UPDATE
The case has been settled with the court's help. All of the builder's seized assets were sold at auction, including his Q6 car, boat, motorcycles etc ... Quotes were obtained for a complete demolition and rebuild, and that work has commenced. Included in the quotes was hire and siting of a mobile kitchen unit for the time of the works.

Additionally, she has received a payment of a significant sum for the stress it has caused her.

The selected (re) builder, in a private agreement, has agreed to further works at no cost to rectify other problems caused by the original builder.

As a guide, the surveyor's report ran to 61 pages and was a catalogue of quite serious failings on the part of the original builder.

Trading Standards and HSE have now taken up the case as electrical work had been done without being signed off with a certificate, including fitting a new consumer unit and ring main. They reckon jail time and a heavy fine are to be expected.

In another agreement, I have managed to arrange a building control firm to inspect the new build, at no charge. Plus, an electrician to inspect, rectify and certify the electrical installations at nominal cost.

As for karma, I know nothing but have heard via the grapevine that it has already been served.

Colin

Reactions: Ian

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
WOW, what a shocking tale - I must have missed this when it was first posted. I'm very pleased that your neighbour got this rectified. I'm surprised at how fast the courts have been.

Reaction score
Now that is what really can be called a "result"

Sounds like this "Cowboy" has been on the radar of several agencies, Local Authority, Trading Standards and to a lesser extent Health & Safety for loads of breaches of Contract, poor workmanship and safety issues.

If only every "Cowboy" builder could be treated as we see here the building game would improve vastly.

As an aside for any contributor viewing this in the USA the term "Cowboy" over here is a generally used UK wide term for a very Rogue poor Building Contractor producing Sub Standard work

Ken.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
WOW, what a shocking tale - I must have missed this when it was first posted. I'm very pleased that your neighbour got this rectified. I'm surprised at how fast the courts have been.
It was quite literally a one hour court appearance. The surveyor is very highly thought of in this area and has 800+ appearances as expert witness before such courts. The builder accepted the court decision and signed over the possessions on which a lien had been placed.
It was noted that when he appeared in court, he had a broken arm and broken leg.

Colin

Reactions: Ian
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Now that is what really can be called a "result"

Sounds like this "Cowboy" has been on the radar of several agencies, Local Authority, Trading Standards and to a lesser extent Health & Safety for loads of breaches of Contract, poor workmanship and safety issues.

If only every "Cowboy" builder could be treated as we see here the building game would improve vastly.

As an aside for any contributor viewing this in the USA the term "Cowboy" over here is a generally used UK wide term for a very Rogue poor Building Contractor producing Sub Standard work

Ken.
Yes, but there is a twist to the whole thing. It is a very highly regarded and professional firm carrying out the rebuilding, owned by a Mr Singh. On his vans is written 'You tried the cowboys, now let the Indians do the job professionally'.

Colin

Ask a Question