Cleaning mortar of outdoor stone tiles

Reaction score
Hi There,
We have just moved into a new house and outside we have some stone tiles and unfortunately there covered in mortar.

Can anyone suggest how to remove the mortar and get them looking like nice natural tone tiles again. I have tried a little muriatic acid but its only removing lightly stained tiles not the heavier stained ones.

If they can't be cleaned can anyone suggest a way to make them look good again? (paint, colouring etc etc....)

Thanks
Terry

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Terry,

Do you have any photos of the stone? There are so many types of stone pavers/tiles, and some will react badly to acid or other types of cleaner. A photo would help a lot :).

Reaction score
knock off as much as you can mechanically i.e. by hand, e.g. with a bolster or scraper, and then go back in with your cleaner, which sounds like it isn't damaging the stone so far

Reaction score
Mortar should come off with dilute hydrochloric acid (spirits of salt or muriatic acid). But, if the stone is marble or some other limestone, it is going to dissolve. Also if the mortar has a high iron content, you will end up getting iron stains as well and I've never found an effective way of shifting iron stains. You could try using a stiff brush as well and if using hydrochloric, replace it now and again. Watch out for strong (32%)hydrochloric as it fumes and will corrode everything in sight. I would dilute it down to 20% (one fifth) of full strength. Slowly add with mixing, one part strong acid to four parts cold water. Don't ever use phosphoric acid on limestone or cement based stones as it will mark it for keeps.

Reaction score
Hi There,
We have just moved into a new house and outside we have some stone tiles and unfortunately there covered in mortar.

Can anyone suggest how to remove the mortar and get them looking like nice natural tone tiles again. I have tried a little muriatic acid but its only removing lightly stained tiles not the heavier stained ones.

If they can't be cleaned can anyone suggest a way to make them look good again? (paint, colouring etc etc....)

Thanks
Terry
wire brush or electric drill with a wire wheel attachment... not battery operated drill driver. water may help a little but you can get different grades of abrasives in wire wheels ALWAYS USE GOGGLES WIRE PIECES BREAK OFF AND LIKE YOUR EYES AND WANT TO LIVE IN THEM!

Ask a Question