Dishwasher not cleaning right!

Reaction score
My dishwasher is an absolute nightmare. Glasses come out chalky and gritty every single time without fail. Most of the time everything else comes out with what looks like 'sand' on them! I have cleaned the arms so many times, it has salt, rinse aid etc etc but nothing helps. I have noticed that the arms are constantly getting clogged even though i am rinsing everything before i put it in there, so i don't know what the arms are getting clogged with. Apart from dumping it does anyone know what this horrible white chalk and sand could be, and everything feels gritty as well. Thanks xx

Reaction score
Running dishwashers at too low a temperature, is often the reason they don't work well.

What temperature are you using?
Stick a "Finish" or whatever, dishwasher cleaner in it and run it at the hotest temperature.

We have had a Bosch dishwasher for ages, we always use the "intensive" setting and it's never a problem.

Reaction score
So ive given it a proper clean with proper dishwasher cleaner on a hot wash. I don't have a well. I put a load on this morning and one of the cups had a load of spilt tea leaves in it, when the wash cycle had finished the tea leaves were all on most of the other plates and cups? I just can't work this out, i am cleaning every food particle off everything before i put it in so the arm holes don't get blocked, ive added salt and the other thing ( name slips my mind) then the dishwasher tablet, but still it comes out dirty and chalky!! I can't understand how the tea leaves are still on the other items even though its been on a really hot wash for an hour and a half, surely it should have washed them away!! I feel i will have to buy another dishwasher, but what if it happens in the next one!!

Reaction score
The rinse cycle, the first part of the wash cycle should have cleared the tea leaves before it started washing.

Have you cleaned the filter?

Anything stuck in it will get recirculated around the machine in the wash and final rinse cycle.

Check out the filter, then run a couple of "Intensive" i,e. hot cycles with an empty machine.

If your not getting what you call "chalk and sand" out of the tap at the sink, it's a build up of scale etc., in the machine. This can happen in hard water areas and if there's prolonged use of the machine at a low temperature.

Let us know how you get on.

Last edited:

Ask a Question