Metal spinning.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks Doug. :)

I don't get lost but I do occasionally lose things; I still haven't found my Evershed & Vignoles 1,000v Megger; I know I put it in a white plastic bag and stored it safely but stored it where? :(

The workshop is our garage directly beneath our bungalow; it's now converted into my full time workshop and measures approximately 22' x 11' I've crammed lots of stuff into it but ideally I could benefit with a huge warehouse where I could go mad installing lots of old cast iron machinery and have a fork lift truck to move things around with; I've held a counterbalance fork truck license for many years.

I'd like a setup similar to the place I used to work; I could lift giant electric motors on the overhead cranes just by pressing a button or picking one up on a pallet with the fork truck but I can dream on. Recently I bought an electric 250kg hoist which is useful and already been used in anger to lift an heavy paving flag. We who have workshops never have enough space. Good luck with your workshop Doug; you'll be keen to get it completed allowing you to potter around. ;)

Kind regards, Colin.

Electric hoist._001.JPG

My new electric hoist taking the hard work of lifting a heavy paving flag.

Electric hoist._002.JPG

New flag lifting tongs I made doing a good job; no body part ever to be placed under such a suspended load; if the load drops it drops suddenly.

Electric hoist._003.JPG

Two ladders strapped together with cross beam to support the hoist; the ladders and cross beam in this case will easily support over three times the weight of the paving flag. I bought the hoist from Rufforth Auto Jumble; the box was a bit scruffy but the hoist unmarked never having been used; it cost me just over £30 being a genuine bargain. The hoist will seldom be used but as in this case with the flag what a great machine to have handy.

A quick update. I've just come out of the workshop.

Workshop tidying_001.JPG

The back of my Bostitch nail gun case.

Workshop tidying_002.JPG

The front of my Bostich nail gun case after a wipe over with WD40.

Workshop tidying_003.JPG

I've just painted on power tool identification to each case; stored together with easy access and now I know which is which; I'm getting there tidying the workshop.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Very nice Colin. My problem right now is I want to get started on several projects but won’t allow myself to do any until my work area is finished. I went to our storage bin yesterday and rescued one of my tool chests. I spent the entire afternoon cleaning, sorting and throwing out. I have 2 more to do but due to the weather they will have to wait until the weekend.

I am especially impressed by your neatness and organization. It is inspiring me. :) I have one rule in my work shops and that is “nothing sits on the floor”. There is nothing that makes me crazier than seeing tools laying on the floor. I also like a nicely swept floor. I have a ritual that I sweep myself out of my garage and workshop each night. At my age I think I am allowed to be a bit eccentric.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Good on you Doug; I too would get comfortable in your workshop having it all sorted out before starting any projects; I hope you don't find something like this in your tool boxes;

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/news/west-yorkshire-news/bomb-squad-called-after-granddad-15711618

This was just a mile away from where live up in the village and it caused massive traffic disruption; we had difficulty returning home but it was yet just another bit of hassle.

I've not done anything much this afternoon it being so cold but tomorrow is forecast an high of 10C which is warmer than a number of days in mid summer here in 2017 so after shopping first thing in the morning I'll head into the workshop.

Thanks Doug; it costs nothing to be neat and tidy; two of my best cleaning aids are my small hand brush and dustpan that get a lot of use; twice yearly I don my dust mask; open up both workshop doors and blast the entire workshop with the compressor air hose; it's incredible the dust storm this kicks up and the debris blown out onto the driveway where I can more conveniently sweep it up. Of all the strangest places to be taught neatness for me it was as an apprentice down a deep coal mine constantly working in deep dust; first job was to clear a working space so that tools weren't lost in the dust or bearings etc becoming contaminated. Like you Doug I always leave my workshop tidy at the end of each day; as you rightly say the floor should always be clean; tools should be on the bench the exception being if I'm working on a big machine then sockets and spanners are allowed on the floor. :)

Fortunately I'm np longer regarded as eccentric I'm just barking mad. :D

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

With the weather finally improving and warming up I've managed to install the two lamps next to the bungalow front door; I've not wired them in and might not bother just having them as decoration; we have plenty street lighting but I'll consider wiring them in later if I get some free time. What started off with buying these two old coach lamps at £3 the pair proved a very interesting project for me and now I can make a decent job at metal spinning something I've known about for over 50 years but never attempted. I've now put this project to bed at last and am happy to show the result seen below.

Kind regards, Colin.

104_0507.JPG

I can't really call this a coach lamp restoration because now the coach lamps are virtually new in painted aluminium; the six reflectors were the most challenging involving learning metal spinning and I even suffered a fractured rib from the force applied to the metal spinning tool handle. I hope to do more metal spinning and incorporate this into woodturning but at the moment it's only an idea. I recently designed and made from scratch the entire front entrance turning it into a porch and it makes a tremendous difference to where I sit at the keyboard; it's now a great deal warmer and no cold draughts.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A very satisfying project, Colin :). They match perfectly!

Ask a Question