Metal spinning.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Determined to complete this first coach lamp I was in the workshop for 9 o'clock this morning. The threaded rod which secured the top sections had snapped upon removal and was now too short so just another job to take more time; I chucked a length of round bar stock in the Lorch lathe and trued the end then drilled axially at 5mm tapping size; I seldom use tapping size charts; it's easier and quicker to have a nut and select a twist drill bit which is a nice sliding fit. With the hole bored a short length was cut from the bar end and this in turn was tapped at 5mm.

The original rod had a coarse thread and I needed to retain this as it matched the thread in the top ball so I cut the rod using a hacksaw then ran a die down creating a 5mm thread to match the new coupling; the end of a 5mm rod was then run down with the die adding the thread; with the three parts assembled and tightened I could then determine the length of rod required and ran the final thread with the die.

I can't believe I've finally completed the first lamp after the many hours of hassle including a cracked rib whilst metal spinning; This lamp isn't a restoration after all it's mostly a brand new lamp and is bigger than the original because the side lens are now secured with lead came offering a much better seal against our dire climate. The new reflectors went in without trouble; taking decent pictures is usually a problem because it's a workshop not a photography studio; I had to keep breaking off all through the project to take the pictures but I always take lots of pictures for future reference. I can now relax and finish the second lamp. When I started my intention was to restore these two lamps keeping them black and gold but the paint refused to play fair so I painted them to colour match the bungalow exterior and now I'm pleased because I think black and gold would be out of place; these should look better once installed. I'd have preferred rubber seals for the side lens but had to settle for lead came. This project has been more punishment than pleasure due to so many things going wrong and having problems getting decent workshop time but I'm as stubborn as they come so it was only a matter of time before I completed the lamp. Once the second lamp is completed I'll not install them until winter is over because the electrical wiring won't be easy; I want to conceal the cable which will be difficult as the lamps are to be mounted on a random stone wall.

Thank you for your time and patience if you've been following this story.

Kind regards, Colin.

Lamp finish._001.JPG

Tapping at 5mm.

Lamp finish._002.JPG

Running a 5mm thread using a die.

Lamp finish._004.JPG

The extended rod; original coarse thread to the right a new 5mm thread to the left to accept a 5mm nut. The central coupling is tapped at 5mm; a lot of extra work but the lamp top ball is tapped with the coarse thread hence the problem.

Lamp finish._005.JPG

The top assembly now completed.

Lamp finish._007.JPG

The underside of the top assembly showing the new reflector and the nut on the end of the rod.

Lamp finish._010.JPG

Front view showing back and bottom reflectors; the four domed nuts are solid brass.

Lamp finish._011.JPG

Right hand view showing lens in new lead came.

Lamp finish._012.JPG

Left hand view.

Lamp finish._014.JPG

The new lamp on the left being quite a bit bigger than the original lamp on the right; I redesigned making the lamp bigger to accommodate the new lead came and now the top assembly can be lifted clear for bulb replacement; the original lamp has for machine screws which have to be removed allowing the entire body of the lamp to be removed for bulb changing; I like to keep things simple. The lead cames still need a bit of tidying but once these lamps are installed I'll be happy to walk away from them.

Reactions: Ian

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Excellent work Colin - a job well done!

If you hadn't had those problems making it, half of the fun would have gone ;)... Cracked rib aside of course!

It's interesting to see how the new lamps compare to the originals now that the first one is complete, the metal spinning looks spot on :D.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks Ian; problems don't usually bother me because this is where I learn the most but this lamp project has dragged on out of all proportion; given peace and quiet to get into the workshop I'd have finished both lamps ages ago; the cracked rib only slowed me down it was all the interruptions and the Christmas/New Year period too plus paint problems all adding to the delay. I'm not under any pressure to complete the lamps but once I start a project I stick with it until completed; the lowest point must have been when I couldn't even sit at the keyboard without being broken off by Jehovah Witnesses; I regard these as a pest because I'm not at all religious but because they are visitors to our home I'm obliged to afford them common courtesy and politeness; if I went around knocking on doors wanting to convert people to lathes I'd be locked up but lathes to me are real? No offence meant to anyone believing in God just leave me out of it please. I was speaking to a member of staff at Aldi this morning; he keeps trying to convince me the world is flat; I ask him if he drives in a straight line to Australia and keeps driving will he eventually fall from the edge of the earth and once he reaches Australia how will he return home unless he turns and drives in the opposite direction. Is it me or is the world mad?

The high point of this project is without doubt the metal spinning which I enjoyed a great deal and made a couple of new friends too both expert metal spinners who helped me not only with cheap materials but generous free instructions; I won't crack another rib but I do plan to do more metal spinning given a bit of free workshop time; I might even make a scissor type metal spinning tool to reduce the amount of stress to my arms because a lot of leverage is required during metal spinning.

I'm now working on the second coach lamp having come up to the bungalow to wash my hands and have a brew; I'm working with the lead came so cleanliness is very important; lead poisoning is something I wish to avoid. Time now to head back into the workshop; things are going OK this morning so I'm making the most of it .

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Colin, I share your love of the workshop. It is like walking into a cozy little den. I will be so glad when mine is finally completed. This weekend I figured out a way to make it much more efficient so everything came out and got rearranged. My saws will remain in the garage because I don’t want the dust getting into my radios. I also closed off the roof vents to try to improve the heating. Next come the lights and peg board for the walls. A lot of work but I enjoy every minute of it.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks Doug; life is so much better with a workshop of any size; my late parents bought me a 6'x8' wooden shed when I was 15 and I virtually lived in there when not at work; I left school aged 15 and went straight down a deep coal mine starting work at 6 am each day but this gave me lots of free time in the afternoon; I aways worked weekends because in those days of the early 60's few had disposable income in fact food was a luxury.

My cousin married when I was 16 and immediately her husband and I hit it off being chums for many years; we used to strip and restore our motorcycles in the basement of his house; so I've never been without a workshop and never will be.

When I converted our garage into my full time workshop I installed five of these lights; all 2' x 2'

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LED-Ceil...4fd01c32:m:mcUCsKfRV6mHbk3-hHYVW6g:rk:36:pf:0

All five are individually switched and placed to give maximum light over machinery. I have dust extraction for my machines. Whilst having our CH boiler serviced a couple of weeks ago I discussed having a CH radiator installed into the workshop but decided against it; due to all the machinery and benches there isn't any decent wall space so I'm still using my old but trusty electric 2KW fan heater which copes unless the climate is very cold.

I'll be interested Doug to follow your workshop setting up and perhaps get a few tips from you; I don't use peg board at all; my preferred wall mounting is 5/8" thick chipboard allowing anything to be screwed to it and it's not only strong but cheap; the chipboard is screwed directly to the wall without using battens.

I bet you're like me Doug enjoying setting up your workshop and no doubt your workshop will be constantly evolving; I'm forever changing or adding to my workshop to make it user friendly to me; an oasis in a mad bad world. As usual just when I'm about to wander down to the workshop our doorbell rang; it was our neighbour's son from directly across the street; had I a compressor? Of course I have but what do you need it for; he had his father's mobile phone in his hand and explained the cable plug wouldn't push home into the phone's socket hence the need for the compressor to blow the socket out; I had a close look at the socket and invited him in; from my desk I pulled out a wallet of small sewing needles and set about clearing the dirt from the socket; this sorted the job in a few minutes and I checked by plugging the phone into my computer; I dislike using my airline on electronic kit because the compressed air isn't dry; moisture and electric don't mix. I'm on the frontline when neighbours need help of any kind but in a way it's a compliment when they come to me even if many times it's an inconvenience; I'll never turn away a request for help.He was very surprised by the simple solution.

Kind regards, Colin.

DSCN2474.JPG

Garage to workshop conversion underway adding new benches and wall cupboards. Five new LED panel lights installed; one shown lit another near the doors

Graduate and Lorch lathes..JPG

Two lathes and bandsaw with tool board on wall; tool boards are cheap chipboard screwed directly to the wall; over the years I've drilled and plugged the walls but now I simply drill and use hardened masonry screws which screw directly into the hole plugs not needed. The old strip lights are replaced by LED panel lights.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I can now relax; the two lamps are fully working and I can move onto another project but firstly I'll tidy the workshop.

Kind regards, Colin.

104_0311.JPG

Hooked up on test. It seems ages ago I started this project but I got there in the end.

104_0312.JPG
104_0313.JPG

Reactions: Ian
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks Doug. :)

I was in the workshop just after eight thirty this morning and have just knocked off for a brew and bickie (cookie). The workshop is now upside down with stuff all over the place; at last I'm determined to place like with like together; power tools are first because I once spent a frustrating quarter hour trying to find my big SDS drill; I've now got the Fein Multimaster top; Skilsaw; Routers; Saber saw; Biscuit jointer and sanders nicely homed and I'll paint on their identification then I can pull out the one I want.

Decorating sundries are next on the list to sort out; Brushes; rollers; paint kettle; trays; tins of paint and lots of rattle cans etc. It's amazing what gets stored away as the years pass by.

Car items; assorted polishes; screen cleaner; shampoos; micro fibre cloths.

Electrical items; cabling; controls; boxes; sockets; cable clips all manner of controls including oscilloscope; test equipment.

Lots of plumbing items.

I'll never complete my workshop because its forever evolving and I can always squeeze a bit more in; I never use offcuts fully they just shrink in size.

I've bought so many woodturning blanks I think they will last for years giving me lots of pleasure at the lathe; these really do need all storing together because at the moment they are scattered.

I can't do decent work unless I feel comfortable and the workshop is tidy.

Back to the metal spinning though; I've just received a complimentary email from the owner of the metal spinning company who is on extended holiday abroad; i sent him images of the coach lamps and he's very pleased with my efforts; I'm happy I've not let him down because he spent a lot of time and patience taking me under his wing; when I mentioned I'd cracked a rib he too has in the past cracked ribs and he goes on to say most manual metal spinners have at some time cracked a rib or two so I'm not alone; my cracked rib didn't stop me metal spinning but it sure slowed me down and with trouble breathing; no chance of taking a deep breath for over a week but it's all part of the learning curve. Right I'm off back into the workshop to enjoy today so far without interruptions; I'm keeping my head down and making the most of it.

All around us Doug is illness of one kind or another; I'm running flat out to keep ahead in case it catches up with me; after 24 years in my last job before retirement I got out before I was carried out due to immense stress; the guy above me in the pecking order must have caught the stress I left behind; he sadly died aged 55 and I admit to feeling a bit guilty but then he too should have walked before being carried? I intend to keep as busy as possible and learn lots of new things leaving my comfort zone whilst ever I can; sitting in front of a TV watching endless sport whilst drinking alcohol and smoking isn't for me; I'm the same weight I was when I left school; I'm still built like a stick insect burning off what I eat.

I've rambled on enough.

Kind regards, Colin.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hurrah, glad to see you've finished it Colin! Have you got any more projects in mind to work on?

It's nice to hear that you kept in touch with the metal spinning company owner, I'm sure he appreciated hearing that his help went to good use :).

Reaction score
Hi,

I was in the workshop just after eight thirty this morning and have just knocked off for a brew and bickie (cookie). The workshop is now upside down with stuff all over the place; at last I'm determined to place like with like together; power tools are first because I once spent a frustrating quarter hour trying to find my big SDS drill; I've now got the Fein Multimaster top; Skilsaw; Routers; Saber saw; Biscuit jointer and sanders nicely homed and I'll paint on their identification then I can pull out the one I want.

Decorating sundries are next on the list to sort out; Brushes; rollers; paint kettle; trays; tins of paint and lots of rattle cans etc. It's amazing what gets stored away as the years pass by.

Car items; assorted polishes; screen cleaner; shampoos; micro fibre cloths.

Electrical items; cabling; controls; boxes; sockets; cable clips all manner of controls including oscilloscope; test equipment.

Lots of plumbing items.

I'll never complete my workshop because its forever evolving and I can always squeeze a bit more in; I never use offcuts fully they just shrink in size.

I've bought so many woodturning blanks I think they will last for years giving me lots of pleasure at the lathe; these really do need all storing together because at the moment they are scattered.

I can't do decent work unless I feel comfortable and the workshop is tidy.

Back to the metal spinning though; I've just received a complimentary email from the owner of the metal spinning company who is on extended holiday abroad; i sent him images of the coach lamps and he's very pleased with my efforts; I'm happy I've not let him down because he spent a lot of time and patience taking me under his wing; when I mentioned I'd cracked a rib he too has in the past cracked ribs and he goes on to say most manual metal spinners have at some time cracked a rib or two so I'm not alone; my cracked rib didn't stop me metal spinning but it sure slowed me down and with trouble breathing; no chance of taking a deep breath for over a week but it's all part of the learning curve. Right I'm off back into the workshop to enjoy today so far without interruptions; I'm keeping my head down and making the most of it.

All around us Doug is illness of one kind or another; I'm running flat out to keep ahead in case it catches up with me; after 24 years in my last job before retirement I got out before I was carried out due to immense stress; the guy above me in the pecking order must have caught the stress I left behind; he sadly died aged 55 and I admit to feeling a bit guilty but then he too should have walked before being carried? I intend to keep as busy as possible and learn lots of new things leaving my comfort zone whilst ever I can; sitting in front of a TV watching endless sport whilst drinking alcohol and smoking isn't for me; I'm the same weight I was when I left school; I'm still built like a stick insect burning off what I eat.

I've rambled on enough.

Kind regards, Colin.

All I can say Colin is that it’s a good thing we don’t live next door to each other. Our wives would feel like widows as we would feed off each other’s interests and never go in the house. I have finished all the electrical wiring to my shed and garage, so this week I move on to clean up and tool arrangement. I broke down and put a heater in my work shed so I can now work out there regardless of the weather. I spent most of yesterday washing and waxing my 1993 F-250 truck. How wonderful it is to have a nice clean garage to work in. Life is good my friend!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks Ian. :) I'd like to do more woodturning but this time also incorporate a bit of metal spinning with it but it's just an idea at the moment and I've not yet seen anything on the web for inspiration so once again I'll be leaving my comfort zone to experiment a bit. Two jobs already lined up for this year; due to our very rare warm summer last year it must have dried under the pathway flags; these are the big heavy flags and I've already levelled one but now there is another at the bottom of the path; I bought an electric hoist which I suspend from two ladders strapped together to lift each flag making life a lot easier; when I laid the flags about 16 years ago I did the job the hard way; I can't complain though because even after so many years both these flags were only about 1/4" out; when I laid them they were bang on. 1/4" out of true doesn't sit well with me.

The second job is just a bit of timber rot to the very end of one of the fascias; this couldn't be in a worse place because working from a ladder would prove too dangerous so I'll buy a new scaffolding tower to afford safe access; I installed the new roof and all the woodwork 29 years ago so again I can't complain; I'll buy the tower then when the job is completed sell the tower making it a lot less hassle and cheaper than hiring; I did this years ago buying a new cement mixer which I used for six weeks then sold it on only losing about £30. When I installed all the new woodwork I treated it both sides to fully seal it and this extra bit of work has really paid off.

The owner of the metal spinning company also invited me to drop in anytime even if only for a natter and to have a look around; when we first met I admit I didn't know what to expect because many companies have little time for those with an home workshop; I've visited companies only too willing to let the scrap man take away their offcuts rather than let me buy them for cash at a decent price but then of course it's their offcuts to do with as they please; this guy though and I hit it off right from the start because not only did I understand the tooling and machines involved I have a genuine interest so was never going to mess him around or take advantage of his generosity; he's been good to me and I'll never forget; I will pop in from time to time; what cheers me a great deal is that he keeps me on site even after I say I don't want to overstay my welcome; I've visited a number of times and we've enjoyed a natter for over an hour each time; he is a top guy to know.

How right you are Doug; I'm sure we'd have been great chums as neighbours sharing a common interest with many skills to bounce off each other; I'm very much a loner here because our neighbours have too much money making them lazy getting someone in even to change a light bulb; a couple of years ago our grumpy neighbour from directly across the street came to me asking if he could use our landline to call in a sparkie; his son had been ironing and somehow tripped not only the mcb but the main breaker and he couldn't reset it; of course he could use our phone although I don't know why he didn't use his mobile phone other than hoping to rouse my interest into going over; had he been a friendly helpful type of guy I'd have gone straight over; later I asked him if he had got the problem sorted; yes he had but not before being without electricity for 24 hours; the sparkie arrived gave the main breaker switch a hefty push and job was done; this same neighbour last year called in the police because other neighbours were parking two cars in front of OUR BUNGALOW; his three car wide driveway is clear of cars today but a visitor has parked his car directly across the street from our garage; I dislike these sort of people and try to avoid them; they do say what goes round comes round; he's recently suffered two strokes. Bron and I ever helpful and take in many parcels for our neighbours; during our 31 years here only one neighbour has ever accepted a single parcel for us; what is wrong with people these days when they prefer to be miserable and selfish than to lift a finger to help anyone; we'll never get like them.

Like you Doug I've only just washed our Yeti and leathered it dry; I topped up the adblue and checked under the bonnet (hood) so it's looking like new again but not for long?

Is your truck like this Doug;

I've fancied a pick up truck for years but compromised thinking about comfort for Bron hence we bought the Yeti which we love; our Yeti will be three years old in April and has covered 17,000 miles so far; it's a 2.0L diesel SE L model with full leather interior and masses of electronics; it's like driving mission control and there are lots of things on it that I don't even know how to work; I thought bluetooth was a mouth disease? What's your truck like in the wet and snow Doug; is it liable to step out at the rear? Our Yeti is 2W drive but has just had a full set of Michelin Cross Climate tyres fitted at £600.

You'll end up spending a lot of time in your workshop Doug once you get it sorted out; I don't drink; smoke or do drugs; I get my daily high just pottering around whether in the workshop during bad weather or around our property weather permitting; as long as I keep busy I keep happy. Good luck Doug with your new workshop and please keep us posted.

Kind regards, Colin.

Flag work_001.JPG

This will be the sort of thing you can design and make Doug when you get your welder; this is my flag lifter.

Flag work_004.JPG

My flag lifter being used for the first time; these are the very heavy 3' x 2' x 2" flags which can remove fingers if not careful; the flag was lifted using the new electric hoist (250kg) then lowered onto timber allowing it to be moved clear.

Flag work_003.JPG

When I bedded these flags in mortar all those years ago I didn't skimp.

Flag work_002.JPG

The new mortar bed ready to accept the flag; I used a wooden gauge bar between flags for levelling so once the flag is gently lowered it can be tapped lightly knowing it will be perfectly inline.

Flag work_005.JPG

Job done using a granite concrete mix as mortar; I doubt I'll ever need to lift it again. I've posted these pictures previously but worth posting again just for interest and to show a way to avoid back problems;

Reaction score
Colin, this is my beast. It is gasoline engine, 351 cubic inches. It started out with 225 horse power but thanks to a great Ford dealer it now dynos at just under 400 hp. In 1993 Diesel engines were still noisy and dirty so gas was preferable.

14A796A2-F653-4B01-968A-0F0A3D313A04.jpeg

The interior is still perfect. The exterior is 98% perfect. It just turned 77,000 miles
35BFF8D1-5C3B-462D-A780-2DA23DF4259F.jpeg

It has a front receiver that holds a 5,000 pound winch. It also has an inverter to provide 117 volt ac when I need it. The cap is easily removable and comes off when I’m not getting horse feed. Now that I don’t have any more construction supplies to get it will probably spend the rest of the winter resting in the garage.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

That is some beast as you rightly say Doug; how many gallons does it do to the mile? ;) I wouldn't want to try to park it in our local supermarket car parks with their tiny parking spaces but what a great vehicle to own; I'd love something like it but just for me and Bron for transport it would be way over the top. It's in wonderful condition showing you look after it. Do you pay road tax? Our Yeti is diesel but has "adblue" so our road tax was £30 for the year; I'm unsure if this will increase this year but new big diesels over here are now taxed heavily,

Thanks for adding the pictures. Have you done any work on your vintage horse cart: I hope my memory is still working?

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Hi,

That is some beast as you rightly say Doug; how many gallons does it do to the mile? ;) I wouldn't want to try to park it in our local supermarket car parks with their tiny parking spaces but what a great vehicle to own; I'd love something like it but just for me and Bron for transport it would be way over the top. It's in wonderful condition showing you look after it. Do you pay road tax? Our Yeti is diesel but has "adblue" so our road tax was £30 for the year; I'm unsure if this will increase this year but new big diesels over here are now taxed heavily,

Thanks for adding the pictures. Have you done any work on your vintage horse cart: I hope my memory is still working?

Kind regards, Colin.

Yes, Ihave removed the rotted wood and replaced it with wood from Eastern Red Cedars I cut down on my property. I then coated the entire thing with a wood hardener. I had it decorated for fall with hay bales and pumpkins but never took any pictures. I was going to restore it to look new but several people said that would ruin it. It is now very rustic looking but foundationaly solid. Pictures will follow.

As for my truck, I have changed the rear axle ratio to accommodate highway speeds so I get up to 15 miles per gallon on the highway. It has 2 gas tanks which gives me a cruising range in excess of 500 miles. The ride is brutally stiff but the seats are fully adjustable and have air controlled lumbar support. I used to haul my antique Airstream trailer with it which was in excess of 7,000 pounds fully loaded. So far, 4 of my grandchildren have laid claim to it when I pass on.

Reaction score
Colin, I forgot to answer a couple of your questions - as for driving in snow, I don’t know because I don’t take it out in snowy weather. The locals put salt on the road during snow storms and this causes rust. I just leave it parked.

As for road use taxes - we buy our license plates based on vehicle weight and the rest of the money used for roads is from gasoline taxes. They are considerably less than EU petrol taxes.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Your truck must be using similar amounts of fuel to a Hummer? Here are our average fuel prices to bring tears to your eyes;

upload_2019-1-21_16-49-6.png

I used to own a Jaguar many years ago and it had two petrol tanks at 12 UK gallons each; it cost a fortune to run. Changing your final drive ratio has it changed your speedo settings? Fully loaded I'm surprised it didn't flatten out road bumps but I bet it's fun to drive with bags of power.

The fuel and car purchase taxes here in the UK must be used for many things but little used for roads which are in poor condition; cars are being wrecked by the potholes but our council can afford to install masses of traffic calming like speed humps and speed cameras; car parking in Huddersfield Town was a joke twenty years ago and we never ever drive into or even visit the town because it's better for the council to pay an army of traffic wardens than to provide parking spaces; the council appear to want to shut Huddersfield town completely down and they are succeeding; years ago we built a big network of motorways but where is all the money going to these days; they are still discussing closing our main hospital; it's getting worse daily. The infirmary closure is I believe on hold for the time being but we have idiots in charge of everything;

http://handsoffhri.org/

Here is our council at its best and they can't understand why so many shops are closed; M&S is now to close also;

http://handsoffhri.org/

I don't understand you buying your license plates; is this a one off payment; our license plates are issued when the vehicle is first registered then a yearly payment is made to the government; as usual though the government like to complicate things when transferring the cost onto the fuel would be much simpler and a better way for the government to rip motorists off more;

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-tax-rate-tables

Isn't it nice to have four grandchildren lined up for your truck. ;)

What a pity you didn't take pictures of your cart but I'm pleased you sorted it to your satisfaction and I'd enjoy seeing pictures of it as it now is; red cedar will last many years even untreated and red cedar over here is very expensive indeed but then any timber is expensiver here with the government slapping a tax of 20% on most things.

Out of interest what would you pay for a new tyre for your truck Doug; we've just paid £600 for a set of four new tyres with free fitting?

It's just one big rip off living here in the UK so to fill up your truck here Doug would require a mortgage; :(

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Colin, when I put the one new set of tires on it I had the front end aligned and heavier shocks installed. Total cost was $1,500 US. The tire have 40,000 miles on them and still look great. I do have the front end aligned every year.

Right now regular gas 87 octane with 10% ethanol is varying between $2.15 to $2.25 per US gallon.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks Doug for your interesting information. :)

I've just been kicking a few figures around; at the current exchange rates our set of tyres cost 775 USD but no way do I expect them to last 40,000 miles; at the last service in July 2018 the service mechanic had ticked two tyres to keep an eye on; this at only 15,000 miles; living here it's all hills and the roads are nothing but bends unless on a motorway so this must scrub the tyres off and I always drive within the prevailing speed limit so I'm not reckless burning rubber.

2.25 USD for a US gallon of petrol; WOW; one US gallon = 3.78 litres so this makes your petrol around 59c per litre or 46p in our money but we're paying £1.99 per litre (155.13USD)?

upload_2019-1-22_15-24-11.png

upload_2019-1-22_15-16-54.png

I'm now making progress rearranging the workshop; today I've relocated the big drill press installing a pair of new power sockets which was a simple enough job; this drill press had been giving poor access to the hot and cold water taps so now it's got a decent home at last; I'm also clearing the bench tops because I dislike being untidy. I've enjoyed pottering around today.

Kind regards, Colin.

Workshop_004.JPG

Tidying and rearranging the workshop; clearing bench tops of clutter.

104_0317.JPG

Drill press in it's new location and new double 13A socket installed; I made and installed the side hung doors a few years ago which are a huge improvement over the original up and over door; I can pop in and out with ease and not let all the heat out.

Please note all the power tools in the bench neatly grouped together at last; I'll paint on identification to each.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks Doug. I'll look forward to seeing your pictures in due course; I did a bit more benchtop clearing this morning and I'm pleased with my progress so far. :)

Clear benches_001.JPG

Middle benchtop now clear ready for my next project. I can't work if the benches are cluttered. I've owned the fan heater middle right on the floor for many years and although it has two settings usually the lower setting suffices unless really cold outside.

Clear benches_002.JPG

The sawbench in the middle makes an ideal resting place for tools and materials whilst I work on the woodturning lathe; the blade is fully lowered and the MDF affords it protection; the saw fence is easily removed if need be. The blue covers are top one covering the Lorch Schmidt metal lathe; the bottom cover over the metal cutting bandsaw.

Ask a Question