Make things.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Bron kindly bought me a TIG welder as an anniversary/birthday prezzie. I've been arc welding for the last 55 years but never had a go with either MIG or TIG; having fully restored the Suffolk Colt mower I found the petrol tank was leaking and given the age of these mowers if I bought another tank it too could possibly leak hence the TIG welder. I wanted to make a new aluminium tank from scratch.

Within ten minutes of switching on the welder it exploded filling the workshop with smoke; it was out of action for three weeks whilst it was repaired under warranty; it had virtually destroyed itself needing three new circuit boards and a large number of transistors but it's now working perfectly.

I hadn't realized what I'd taken on because I'm finding TIG welding aluminium to be very difficult indeed especially the 1.6mm thick aluminium I'm welding; the welder doesn't have a foot pedal so I'm learning the hard way and it's a major problem controlling the heat; not enough heat won't allow a puddle to form but too much heat quickly creates holes; I've spent many hours watching YouTube videos covering all aspects of TIG welding aluminium and the experts make it look so easy.

I first practiced on thicker aluminium but then spent time learning to weld the five joint types on flat 1.6mm aluminium; I've just done my first welds on curved aluminium and am struggling but improving; I've now welded the tank ends on and they don't leak although the welds don't look pretty; I'd love to weld a nice bead of "dimes" but I still need lots more practice; I'm unaided by our dire climate but hopefully it will improve as we head into springtime.

TIG welding isn't a cheap hobby; it's easy to run up to £1,600 even without buying the aluminium which in itself is also expensive but it's well worth the cost because I'm learning something new and enjoying it; each welding session I still make mistakes but making steady progress too. I joined a welding forum and my full story can be seen here;

https://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/threads/blown-my-welder-up.94007/

Kind regards, Colin.

Sunday practice_0002.JPG

Practice TIG welds on 1.5mm thick aluminium. I produced lots of scrap before getting this result.

Tank ends welded_0001.JPG

This tank end was welded and as the weld was so poor I fettled it using a file but then I wasn't at all happy because it looked like it had been soldered and not welded.

Tank ends welded_0002.JPG

Here's the weld after rough filing; I didn't like how it looked.

TIG Sunday_0001.JPG

What price eyes; I bought this high end auto welding helmet.

TIG Sunday_0002_01.JPG

TIG welding a curve first attempts left a lot to be desired but at least I didn't blow any holes where not wanted so it wasn't a failure.

TIG Weds_0004.JPG

A practice end weld.

Working space._0002.JPG

Workshop crammed to bursting with kit; I'm using my arc welding trolley top as a TIG welding table; space is tight but I'm not at all complaining.

Fri 31 Jan 2020_0001.JPG

This is the joint rewelded and although not pretty it's watertight and actually looks like a weld; I think I'll regard this first tank as a practice tank; I've got plenty of aluminium to play with. :)

Corner joint._0001.JPG

Corner joint looking decent after many attempts.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've just done a bit more metal spinning on my Graduate woodturning lathe; I modified the lathe a few years ago and enjoy doing a bit of metal spinning on it; I only spin aluminium and this is correct soft grade 1050 at 2mm thick.

I cut the blanks out from the sheet using my woodcutting bandsaw; it leaves a rough edge due to the band being 4tpi but it slices through the aluminium without effort; eye and ear protection is a must as is wearing heavy rigger gloves; the disc is further trimmed using my belt grinder and gloves are a must because aluminium rapidly heats up.

With the blank running true and nipped up very tightly the blank is lubricated then the long heavy spinning tool was brought to bear; once the profile is spun the rough edge was trimmed with a long handled HSS tool; this spinning is highly dangerous; so much leverage is needed on the tool handle whilst spinning is in progress I fractured a rib which is very common for metal spinners. A fractured rib makes its presence known by a loud crack and a searing pain; shallow breaths for two weeks soon cures it and it's pointless wasting time at the A&E.

Metal spinning is extremely interesting; I have a friend who owns a metal spinning company and I'm a regular visitor my last visit being yesterday; I'm always fascinated by the various items being spun. It's worth noting use 1050 grade aluminium; this is soft whereas general grades of aluminium used for fabrication are much tougher.

Kind regards, Colin.

Metal spinning_0001.JPG

Hardwood former together with tailstock pressure pad.

Metal spinning_0002.JPG

Just spun showing lubricant and edge still to trim; this looks so easy if watching YouTube videos but it's actually very difficult.

Metal spinning_0005.JPG

I'm definitely no expert at metal spinning but can now metal spin to a reasonable standard. Here's an interesting YouTube video;

Kind regards, Colin.

Reactions: Ian

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm always fascinated by the various items being spun
Do you think your friend would mind some photos being snapped? I can understand if so, as they may not want to share their products - but I'd be fascinated to see what sort of things they make. I see so many manufacturing companies around my area and I always wonder what they do :).

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Many thanks for your interest Ian. I'd like to help but unfortunately I'm in a privileged position as to my friendship and inside knowledge of the company regarding items being spun so the best thing I can do to help is suggest you browse YouTube; there are lots of good videos to actually show you how metal spinning is carried out and the assorted items that are spun.

Here's a southern company with a gallery of spun items;

http://www.calibremetalspinning.co.uk/ourwork

I can understand your fascination in how things are made; sometimes it pays to be cheeky and just call in personally explaining you have a home workshop and are interested in how their products are made; I'm cheeky and it's often worked for me; if it works then brilliant; if not then at least I've asked.

During my 24 years at Brook Motors here in Huddersfield I've often dealt with visiting customers collecting motors but on many occasions the motor/s would still be in production or having to be pulled out of the warehouse by fork truck rather than the motor coming down the conveyors into No 5 Home Trade Despatch; to me each customer was much valued so I took pleasure in letting the customer accompany me to the JIT (just in time) cells or the warehouse; each cell assembled specific frame sizes; 100; 112 & 132; the big lines assembled up to 180 frames and an adjoining department assembled the cast iron motors. Every customer I showed around was in awe to see the factory working flat out and it also took their mind off the fact they had to wait for their motor; at times in an emergency breakdown we've had customers drive up from as far afield as Cornwall; if they had to wait I would give them a note to present in the canteen for a free complimentary meal with drink. Safety was paramount and I asked each customer to stick near to me because of electric trucks; fork trucks and cranes being used.

Such friendliness to customers was never lost usually ending with a beaming smile and warm handshake as the customer departed with the motor. I was proud to show the products off; I believed Brooks made the best motors in the world.

As I say Ian I'm cheeky and often visited scrap yards asking if it was OK to look around because I have a home workshop; I've also done this at a local joinery company asking if they had offcuts I could buy because I was into wood turning; I've often returned home with a car load of turning blanks for twenty quid; Oak; Ash and Meranti are the usual timbers used locally and are expensive if bought as turning blanks but as large heavy offcuts from a joinery company they are cheap.

I'm never a pest and understand time is money to any company so I always offer to pay up front in cash and I'm not picky; few people these days are genuinely interested in how things are made and customers visiting or contacting companies are usually chasing a product with absolutely no interest as to manufacture so people such as us Ian are often made very welcome; I never visit in collar and tie; just workshop clothes are sufficient and without fear of getting dirty. If my request for a look around is rejected I quickly leave in a friendly manner apologising to have caused any inconvenience.

If you do find decent companies it pays to keep quiet about them. ;)

Just sharing my experiences. :)

Kind regards, Colin.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ian

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks Colin, no problem - I totally understand. Thanks for that link, that's the sort of thing I was looking for - it's easier to see what sort of things are produced now :).

I sometimes do the same as you when visiting places. My local timber merchant has a nice off-cuts area which I regularly browse when passing by. Anything less than 1x1m is somtimes considered an offcut there, which is perfect for my uses!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks He who knows for adding the interesting video. Brook Motors where I worked used metal spraying. I restored a lathe a few years ago and the mandrel was rough so I had it metal sprayed with stainless steel then ground back to specification; I've just checked the company who did the work for me and they are no longer trading;

1606990888638.png

It was Norman Link I arranged the work with and generously Norman said he'd fit my mandrel in-between jobs so it didn't cost a great deal; I'm saddened to see so many of our well established companies failing and now with Covid it's a whole lot worse; the saddest part is the items are still needed and bought but no longer made here in the UK; what's happened to us.

Kind regards, Colin W.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
At the risk of being controversial and off-topic, what happened to us was we kept on voting for people who believed that financial engineering was more important than mechanical.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks He who knows; and look at the mess they've made of this too; I wonder if there is anything of value still here in the UK worth flogging off.

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
1) People to work as cheap labour providing services to rich people.

2) Luxury housing built where the low-paid can no longer afford to live.

3) Tax haven facilities.

4) Money laundering services.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks He who knows; and many more reasons but I think the main reason now is apathy; who cares about anything other than easy money without work.

I've had a rare lazy day not wanting to do anything having worked myself to a standstill over the last four days in bitterly cold wet conditions. Tomorrow is another day and I'll wander down to the workshop.

Kind regards, Colin W.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A make-a-workshop-tool video you might like.

Glad to see from some of the comments that I wasn't the only one thinking he should be using cutting compound at times, and backing off the tap.

Good job in the end though.

Ask a Question